Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Slim Tower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I performed a System Restore a couple of days ago which failed. Years ago if that happened you could return to the point where you started. This time I got the dreaded blue error screen and I can’t do anything because I never made myself the Administrator if my PC. I thought I was the Admin. I can’t perform any of the Advanced Options because my password is not accepted ... because I’m not the Administrator. I can’t do another System Restore to get back to where I started. I can’t even get the Command Prompt nor can I uninstall the latest updates or features. I’ve been in the blue screen loop for 2 days. Microsoft Support could not help. I don’t want a factory reset because I have important client information I don’t want to lose. Finally today I managed to get myself to the HP Setup Utility. I would like to know more about the options. Will the Default Setup wipe out all my files and info?  Is there something I can do where I won’t lose everything. I’ve been in tears for 2 days and I would appreciate any advice. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello
If you do a reinstallation, with or without data loss, you risk losing everything, there is always a risk
If you cannot reboot in order to recover the data, before doing a factory reset, which may be the only way, you can try to recover it first.

You can try several things in order to try to recover your data,

You can try a bootable cd / dvd type live cd (linux)

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-retrieve-windows-files-using-a-linux-live-cd/

you can try removing the hard drive, in order to connect it to another computer internally, or with a usb adapter!

https://www.muo.com/tag/connect-get-data-off-hard-drive/
If your disk is not completely out of order, this gives you a small chance

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions. Although I’m not a novice when it comes to computers , your suggestions are beyond my capability. I’ve tried a few solutions over the last two days with no luck. I saw several suggestions to download a media creation USB file .... I believe that’s what it was called ... which could be used in place of a bootable disc but it didn’t work. I noticed on the HP Utility Setup there was a place to enter an Administrator password which I did but I guess it was too little too late. I tried the HP default administrator password but nothing was going to even get me to a C prompt. I guess the good news ... if you can call it that ... is that I’ve only had the computer for six months so I’m not losing years of data. It just bugs the heck out of me that Microsoft has so many layers of security which far exceed what most users need but can barely perform basic functions in recent years. My previous computer... also an HP ... was 10 years old running Windows 7 and Office 2010 and was far superior to Windows 10 and Microsoft 365. Had I known I would have hung on to it.

HP Recommended

When it comes to recovering the data, there is nothing very complicated
It seems to me relatively well explained in the tutorials
Unfortunately in order to recover data from hard drive you don't have much option

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Respectfully, for many people like yourself, removing a hard drive is a piece of cake, but when I viewed the video I didn’t trust myself to attempt it on a 6-month old computer. I always viewed forums such as this as a place where less skilled people could come for help and not be derided for their inability to perform certain functions. I’ll know better next time. This forum should be labelled “For Experts Only”. 

HP Recommended

Sorry, but there are no endless solutions ...
You can try the dvd rescue option, no need to open the computer!
You ask how to recover your data, and there is no other choice, if you can not start windows
Otherwise try the hp recovery option without data loss, if it works so much the better

if available
otherwise give the model of the computer

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.