Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-241
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey, I’ve been trying to setup a Linux distro on my pc and I’m trying to boot my computer through a usb stick I have, but when I hit Esc and go to the startup menu I hit F9 to go to Boot Device Options but am unable to find my usb drive in the list of boot devices. I can see UEFI Boot Sources and under that is a list of devices like Windows Boot Manager 

and stuff other than my usb.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Calvin0705 

You have to go into your UEFI settings and first, disable Secure Boot.  Then, you have to look through your settings to see if there is one that disables booting from portable devices.  The USB stick will not appear in the Boot Devices menu until these things are done.

Also, if you DO get it booting from the USB stick, ensure that you do NOT install it! Allowing the Linux installer to shrink Windows filesystem partitions to make room for installing is a sure-fire way to trash those filesystems.

Also, since you are running Win10, that is HIBERNATED while it is not actively in use, so if you are booting from a Linux USB stick to access your Windows files, that will not work.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Calvin0705 

You have to go into your UEFI settings and first, disable Secure Boot.  Then, you have to look through your settings to see if there is one that disables booting from portable devices.  The USB stick will not appear in the Boot Devices menu until these things are done.

Also, if you DO get it booting from the USB stick, ensure that you do NOT install it! Allowing the Linux installer to shrink Windows filesystem partitions to make room for installing is a sure-fire way to trash those filesystems.

Also, since you are running Win10, that is HIBERNATED while it is not actively in use, so if you are booting from a Linux USB stick to access your Windows files, that will not work.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks! I just disabled secure boot and enabled legacy boot and it worked

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.