2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Making computer boot through USB

HP Omen 870-241
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey, I’ve been trying to setup a Linux distro on my pc and I’m trying to boot my computer through a usb stick I have, but when I hit Esc and go to the startup menu I hit F9 to go to Boot Device Options but am unable to find my usb drive in the list of boot devices. I can see UEFI Boot Sources and under that is a list of devices like Windows Boot Manager 

and stuff other than my usb.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,422 22,366 2,047 4,891
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Calvin0705 

You have to go into your UEFI settings and first, disable Secure Boot.  Then, you have to look through your settings to see if there is one that disables booting from portable devices.  The USB stick will not appear in the Boot Devices menu until these things are done.

Also, if you DO get it booting from the USB stick, ensure that you do NOT install it! Allowing the Linux installer to shrink Windows filesystem partitions to make room for installing is a sure-fire way to trash those filesystems.

Also, since you are running Win10, that is HIBERNATED while it is not actively in use, so if you are booting from a Linux USB stick to access your Windows files, that will not work.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks! I just disabled secure boot and enabled legacy boot and it worked

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation