Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a6500f
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

In the last three years I have had to replace the motherboard and the hard drive in my computer.  When I replaced the hard drive I also bought a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium to install.  Everything worked fine until the middle of October.  Since then I have had problems starting the computer.  At least I know I have problems but I don't know if it's with the monitor or the conputer.  Since the system is shut down every night I have to power it up in the morning.  Upon doing this I get the flash screen for the motherboard, it goes black, then a few seconds of the Welcome screen with the little moving circle, then black again.  I have a very nice Logitech keyboard that allows me to assign my own choices to the FN + F5 through F8 keys.  So I assigned restart to the F6 key.  This allows me to restart the computer without having to use the power key while not being able to see what is going on. I have to use that restart anywhere from 2 - 16 times before the startup process will show on the monitor and stay there through powering on.  After that I don't have any problems with either the computer functioning or the monitor display.  I checked the driver for the monitor (it's an HP S2031) and it's up to date.  I have checked the Windows installation as well as I can since I'm not exactly a computer whiz.  Is there anyone who can help me with this problem?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@wildchild1954

Thanks for replying. 🙂

This sounds like a hardware issue with the PC. If you have already tried the steps from the HP document I posted earlier then please contact our HP phone support team to explore the service options. 

Keep me posted for any further questions. Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@wildchild1954

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion a6500f Desktop PC. I read that you have replaced the motherboard and the hard drive in your PC and have installed Win7 retail version. The PC has startup issues and then you have to restart it multiple times to boot successfully in Windows. 

Did you get the motherboard and the hard drive replaced through HP or somewhere else?

I suggest you to perform the steps as described in detail form this HP document. These steps help in fixing various startup issues in Win7.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Maybe I didn't explain this right.  It's not the computer, apparently.  When it starts up I get the flash screen for the motherboard (which was replaced at a computer repair shop since I live in a small town in Wyoming) then the monitor goes black until the "Welcome" screen with the little moving circle shows up temporarily.  If I shut the monitor off and then back on I get about a 4 second flash of the computer display but then it goes blackagain.   I replaced the hard drive myself a little over a year ago and have never had a problem until this. 

Thursday morning I could never get the monitor to stay showing anything.  I'm doing this now on a small Dell Latitude (and boy am I having trouble seeing this!).  I tried using a VGA cable to attach the monitor to the laptop (i've done this before and it worked fine), but now I get exactly what I had on the PC.

HP Recommended

@wildchild1954

Thanks for replying. 🙂

This sounds like a hardware issue with the PC. If you have already tried the steps from the HP document I posted earlier then please contact our HP phone support team to explore the service options. 

Keep me posted for any further questions. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I did try the steps I  could but I don't have access to another display.  I also can't do the service because I'm retired and live on only $650 a month.  Thank you for trying to help me anyway!

HP Recommended

@wildchild1954

You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

I wish I had a magic wand to wave and fix the issue from there. But thanks again for your kindness.

Take care! 🙂

HP Recommended

It finally occurred to me in all this that I never mentioned one thing.  When I start the computer and the monitor goes black if I turn it off and then back on for about 4 seconds the display is actually there.  The few seconds of display that I get are what should actually be there after the computer starts.  Does this change anything?

HP Recommended

Greetings @wildchild1954, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply and providing more information. 

The issue you are facing still seems to be a hardware issue. 

Recommend you have the computer checked at any authorized service center.

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.