Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 810-460
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday I decided to reset my computer. However, after resetting it, my mouse and keyboard do not work. The odd part is that my keyboard will still light up when I press keys, but nothing will change, and my mouse won't pick up at all.  I have plugged both things into another computer and it works fine, so it has something to do with the reset. I cannot get past the screen of Cortana welcoming me to my computer, and if I wait long enough it will just take me to a country selection screen, so I have no use of the actual comoputer to fix the problem.

I've done my own research on this for the past day, and it seems like the fix for everyone is plugging in a ps/2 to usb adapter into my mouse. THe problem is my computer doesn't seem to have ps/2 ports. It's not on the back of the computer and apparently it could also be on the motherboard but I opened the case up and did not see a ps/2 port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Have you tried all USB ports?

You have two USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 on the back I/O shield.

You probably have USB (two of each) on the top and front bezel.

Either the connectors have failed or you have a USB controller problem on the motherboard.

Tom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

Have you tried all USB ports?

You have two USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 on the back I/O shield.

You probably have USB (two of each) on the top and front bezel.

Either the connectors have failed or you have a USB controller problem on the motherboard.

Tom

HP Recommended
I cant believe i didnt think of that, the usbs on the top worked, thank you so much!
HP Recommended

Hi

You are welcome.

Are all of the back USB ports down (USB 2.0 and USB 3.0)?

Each protocol has it's own controller on the motherboard.

The front/top USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports also have a separate controller chip on the motherboard.

Again, it could be shorted/bad connectors or the Motherboard controller has failed.

You have a workaround but the fix may be to replace the motherboard.

Asus Maximus X Hero
Corsair Carbide 200R
i7 8700K
1TB 960 EVO
Asus Strix 1080 OC
Corsair RM650x

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.