Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 110 desktop model 110-020ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The windows 10 desktop PC was recently updated to the latest version of windows 10 - via windows update - however now when the machine boots to the login screen the neither the USB keyboard or mouse work.

I have checked the keyboard and mouse on other PC's and in the HP bios and both work fine. They just will not work at the login screen.

(I have read that in rare case the windows update uninstalls the USB drivers and fails to reinstall the drivers)

The issue I am having is how to fix this. The HP machine is configured to use UEFI, so will not boot from other source - I have tried the HP repair section but still boots into windows to change UEFI settings. 

This always fails becuase of no Keyboard or mouse.

I feel like I am stuck in a catch 22. I need to change the UEFI settings in windows to boot from a repair disk. But cannot login to windows to change UEFI settings. 

Any help how to fix this and reinstall the USB drivers? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@mrboardman,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score. 

I recommend you use the onscreen keyboard to login to the computer and change the settings or install the USB drivers.

Here is how you can access the onscreen keyboard from the login screen.

1. To access the on-screen keyboard from the Windows login screen, look for the Ease of Access icon. It looks like a dotted circle with arrows pointing down and to the right. On the Windows 10 login screen, this icon is located on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
  2. Click the icon to see the Ease of Access menu, which includes several options to assist users with disabilities. The option we’re looking for is On-Screen Keyboard. Click or tap it and you’ll see a full-size virtual replica of a standard keyboard layout appear on the screen.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I have tried to click any button on the screen but with No input device (mouse or keyboard) I cannot access the On Screen keyboard. All USB devices are dead.

I have updated the BIOS to legacy mode (non UEFI) and can boot windows ten from USB stick.

I tried the recovery option but this failed to find installed UEFI windows installation.

I am trying to roll back to a previous restore point, but with little success. No restore point are visible.

I wonder if the is is because of UEFI windows installation.

Question. If I boot in  BIOS (non UEFI) mode can windows repair disk see previous installed UEFI versions?

Can I create UEFI windows 10 recovery USB stick, that will see previous installed versions of Windws?

If I reinstall windows, will it correctly overwrite previously install version of windows or do I have to create a completely new partition.

Mi

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Sadly I  have tried to click any button on the screen but with No input device (mouse or keyboard) I cannot access the On Screen keyboard. All USB devices are dead.

I have modifed the BIOS to legacy mode (non UEFI) and can boot windows 10 from USB stick.

I tried the recovery option, but, this failed to find installed UEFI windows installation.

I am trying to roll back to a previous restore point, but with little success. No restore points are visible.

I wonder if the is because it is a UEFI windows installation.

Question. If I boot in  BIOS (non UEFI) mode can windows repair disk see previous installed UEFI versions?

Can I create UEFI windows 10 recovery USB stick, that will see previous installed versions of Windows?

If I reinstall windows, will it correctly overwrite previously install version of windows or do I have to create a completely new partition?

Kind regards

Mike Boardman

HP Recommended

@mrboardman,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

• Are you able to use the keyboard to boot to BIOS?
  • Have you tried using a different keyboard and mouse?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

Yes the keyboard works perfectly in BIOS/ UEFI , and yes I have tried two different mouse and another keyboard. All behave in the same way. 

Any help welcome?

Mike Boardman

HP Recommended

@mrboardman

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Let's uninstall and reinstall the drivers from the Device manager for keyboard and mouse.

1. Press Windows+X to open the menu, and choose Device Manager on it. 

2. In the device manager, expand category "Mice and other pointing devices". 

3. Under this category, right click on your Synaptics Touchpad driver and click on Uninstall. 

4. You may be required to confirm the uninstallation. Check the box next to "Delete the driver software for this device" and click OK button.

5. Similarly, delete the keyboard drivers.

6. Restart the computer.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03738933 for Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thanks you for you reply. The issue I have is with a desktop PC that only has USB inputs. I don't seem to be making my point clearly enough. I cannot login to window or click any button on the screen because the mouse and keyboard do not work. And because of UEFI I cannot boot from another device. If I could get into windows I am competent enough from roll back to previous restore point 

Issue is not with the mouse or keyboard, I just cannot login to windows. 

I need information about how to use a recovery USB stick to - where the mouse and keyboard work perfectly - connect to windows UEFI  installation and hopefully roll back to an old restore point. 

I am disappointed in microsoft with the windows update that has causing this issue. Do you have a contact in Microsoft how to recovery installation?

Kind regards

Mike Boardman

HP Recommended

@mrboardman

To perform System Recovery using the recovery media.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961 and follow To perform a recovery on your computer with Windows 10 using one of the following methods:

Hope this helps you out!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thanks Raj1788. Reading the post, the Getting Started says:

"Use the Windows 10 search box to search for HP Recovery Manager and click to open it". Unfortunatly, I cannot login so cannot open HP recovery manager.

The desktop machine was upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10.

The BIOS menu has a recovery menu option. When I run the recovery option it cannot find the window 10 installation?

Do you know why the recovery option cannot find a windows installation to recover?

Thanks Mike B

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.