Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23 All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For some weeks my computer has been suddenly rebooting itself. There is no warning message, or message of any kind, the screen just goes to black and a reboot commences. This usually occurs about once a day and can be at completely random times and do not occur whilst I am in any particular App, website or program.

I've tried without succesws to track down the reason. Does anyone have any ideas please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There can be LOTS of reasons why a PC re-boots itself randomly, hence why you can't find a definitive answer online.

In some cases, and can be a component that just needs reseating, such as RAM, CPU, HDD connectors or power cables from the PSU to the mainboard. More often though, it's some mystery fault with the mainboard that has developed over time. If it's out of warranty, then I suggest re=seating all the components I mentioned above. Blow it out with compressed air and run extensive HP diags to see if that pinpoints anything. The current UEFI diags is 6.2.2.0

Hope this helps, Michael.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

There can be LOTS of reasons why a PC re-boots itself randomly, hence why you can't find a definitive answer online.

In some cases, and can be a component that just needs reseating, such as RAM, CPU, HDD connectors or power cables from the PSU to the mainboard. More often though, it's some mystery fault with the mainboard that has developed over time. If it's out of warranty, then I suggest re=seating all the components I mentioned above. Blow it out with compressed air and run extensive HP diags to see if that pinpoints anything. The current UEFI diags is 6.2.2.0

Hope this helps, Michael.

HP Recommended

I've been around computers for years, but poking about inside them is something I've tried to avoid, hence these newby-like questions.

I find the All-In-One computer hard to get into; much harder than towers with just a few screws and the case comes off. Is there an east way to get inside? I'm afraid I'll break the cover or attachment points if I start experimenting.

By "reseating" do you mean removing at both ends and plugging back the cables to the RAM, CPU  and HDD? 

Can you explain "The current UEFI diags is 6.2.2.0" please? That number sounds like an IP address?

I have blown out previous towers and replaced and added RAM, but I view the All-In-One in the same way as the home servicing of a 1960s car against looking under the bonnet of a modern car and quickly shutting it again and taking it to a dealer. :Surprise:

HP Recommended

Hi Mate,

If you let me know the exact model (eg. 23-q012a) I can tell you how to take the rear cover off.  I've been repairing HP's for about 7 years now.

By 're-seat' I mean unplug the the power & sata cables attached to the HDD & Mainboard. And with the RAM & CPU remove them from the mainboard, check for dust or marks on the gold contacts & re-install. (Desktop & AiO CPU & RAM is the same procedure, even from 15 years ago) Just be mindful of static and only hold them by the edges. Give them a light blow before re-installing to remove any dust. Sometimes with the components getting hot/cold/hot/cold etc.. the expansion can cause a slight loss of contact. re-seating can help.

The '6.2.2.0' is the current VERSION of the UEFI diags. I got it wrong though, it's actualy 6.6.2.0. Here's a link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

Cheers, Michael.

HP Recommended

Thanks Hibb, that is very helpful. The model is 23-a300a.

Since your last advice, althought I'd checked it previously, I rechecked the power cable, wall to transformer box. From that box to the comuter seemed firmly connected but the plug into the box seemed a little loose. I don't have a second cable so I refitted it and, using a strong elastic band, I'v held it firmly into the socket in the box. It is now very firmly attached. This may not be the cause of the problem, but I'll see how we go over the next few days. If the problem still exists I'll use your promised reply re the cover removal and try your other suggestions, but first I'll see how my improvised cable solution goes.   

Fingers crossed... Bill.

HP Recommended

> ideas, please

Next time that it restarts, press ESC, and then press another key to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics.

Run those diagnostics, to see if the hardware "passes" all the tests.

How old is the computer?  Is the original HP Warranty still active?

HP Recommended

Thanks Mdklassen. I've just read your reply... straight after the computer unexpectendly rebooted! It probably won't happen again today, or maybe tomorrow. It is so inconsistent. But I will note your suggestion and try it. the sequence is the screen suddenly goes black, then after a few seconds the circular arrow indicating the computer is working appears. I guess I press Esc during the period that is happening and before the home page appears? Then any other key will start the HP diagnosis procedure?

In answer to your questions , I bought the computer new in December 2014, so no, it isn't still under warranty.

Michael, if you are still reading this thread, I'd love the directions on how to get the back off as you promised, for later use if not for this problem. The computer model is 23-a300a

HP Recommended

Hi Mate,

I remembered this issue is relatively new and only affects AMD cpu's (which you have) I have just copied & pasted it from an email, so not sure if the pics will come through. Essentially, you kust want to disable 'fast startup' in Windows power settings.

To remove the back from your PC. 1. flip the pc over so the screen is facing down. 2. There'll be a screw in each corner under a rubber grommit. There'll be a 3rd screw in the middle bottom under a silver sticker. Pierce the sticker roughly in the middle. None of these screws come all the way out, just unscrew until you hear 2 or 3 clicks. 3. Now using a plasic wedge, or credit card or similar, start prying up the edges starting from the bottom. I'll be tight and tough, but just keep pulling up. It's just plasric clips holding it in. May even sould like you'll break it, but perservere slowly and you'll be right.

4. Once it's off, you'll see an EMI plate covering the mainboard. Unscrew the 3-4 phillips screws around the edge of the EMI plate. Once the screws are out, pull the plate up from the bottom.

To but it back together, just do the above in reverse. Message me if you get stuck or have any questions.

Cheers, Michael.

AMD REBOOT ISSUE FIX

Click on the [Start] button, then the [settings] cog symbol

Click on [System]

If the layout does not appear as below, you may have to click the [home] button in top left.

Click on [Power and sleep]

Click on [Additional power settings]

Click on [Choose what the power button does]

Click on [Change settings that are currently unavailable]

Untick the box next to [Turn on fast startup]

Click on [Save changes]

Restart the PC [Start button] then [Restart]

HP Recommended

> the sequence is the screen suddenly goes black,

The computer has "reset" itself, just as if you powered-off the computer, and then powered-on the computer.

> After a few seconds the circular arrow indicating the computer is working appears.

The "spinner" is displayed as Windows reboots.

Under Windows 10, within "Settings", then are "advanced restart" options, including "restart now".

Do it, and as the hardware restarts, you should have an option to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics. Launch it.

> I guess I press Esc during the period that is happening and before the home page appears?

No, that is "too late" -- by that time, Windows has begun to restart.

You must press ESC (repeatedly) as soon as the screen goes black, to even have a chance of "interrupting" the motherboard before it starts to read Windows from the disk-drive.

HP Recommended

Thanks Michael, that solution sounds really promising and so easy to follow. I've just done it and rebooted. I guess I'll need to wait 2 or 3 days to be sure it is a solution to my problem, but I'm pretty confident you have nailed it. I'll come back later in the week and if it has worked I'll mark it solved.

Thanks to you also for the instructions  for getting the back off.

Thanks Mdklassen for explaining the method of getting into the HP diagnostics at bootup, and later whilst the computer is running. Both could be useful for any later problems I may experience.

I'm making a note of your collective suggestions, so I'll be better equipped if I need to sort out future problems

I'm very impressed with the help available on this site, thank you both!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.