Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p2-1343w
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I have looked at the instructions for clearing the bios but cannot locate a witch jumpers to move and the ones that I believe demo are not labeled 123456 at the instructions say. I've looked at YouTube videos how to do that and they all say that it should be a green jumper call her but all the jumpers on my motherboard are below. Can anyone please assist? Below I have given the motherboard and the link to the instructions page.

Motherboard: APXD1-DM
Motherboard Manual: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03004082
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes.

Look at the orientation of the jumper.  It can only move one pin over from what I can see in the picture.

As long as the PC is off and unplugged, you should not harm the PC in any way.

Just make sure any jumper movements you do are with the PC powered off and unplugged.

I sometimes even push the power button to drain any residual power from the motherboard before proceeding to work inside the PC.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@GNetDevelopment, welcome to the forum.

Here are the actual Motherboard Specifications for your computer.  If you look at the section titled "Motherboard layout" the components are labled.  The jumper for clearing the password is labled CMOS+PW.  It is just to the right facing of the Battery.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Thanks for your response! I have seen these jumpers, but they're not labeled one through six at the instructions on the page that you found date they should be and not sure which configuration to put the jumper then to clear the password or whether I should remove the jumper and turn the computer on as I have seen and some YouTube videos. Neutrally in the HP instructions it says there's only one jumper and I have two jumpers as you can see in the picture of the motherboard. Here are the instructions that HP gives below:

The BIOS password is used to protect BIOS settings from unwanted changes.

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:
Turn OFF the computer.
Move the jumper to Clear.
Turn ON the computer to POST screen
Turn OFF the computer.
Move the jumper back to Default
Enter BIOS setup to verify or configure new settings
HP Recommended

You are welcome!  Thank you for the additional information, @GNetDevelopment.

Here is a picture of the jumpers:

CapturePW.PNG

The pins are numbered as follows:

1 2

3 4

5 6

To clear the Password, you move the jumper from 3 5 (orange) which is Default to 2 4 (red).  Once it is cleared, you move the jumper back to 3 5 Default.  As it states in the instructions, do not move the jumpers when the computer is running.

The Motherboard that you have in your link is different from the Motherboard that is in the Specs for the computer.  So, I am not certain what to say beyond what I have suggested.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Ok but as I said I've got two jumpers instead of just one. I don't understand why HP had the instructions the way the do seeing how the picture is accurate showing the two jumpers side by side, but the directions down lower on he web page only show one.
HP Recommended

Hi:

The green clear password jumpers are only for HP business desktops, not the consumer desktop PC's.

Looking at the picture of the motherboard you originally posted, it appears to me that the clear password and clear CMOS jumpers are pictured in the center of the motherboard in blue.

One jumper clears the CMOS and one jumper clears the BIOS P/W. 

If you look closely at the white lettering on the motherboard the jumpers should be labeled as to which is which.

It will not hurt to move either one of them as long as the PC is shut down and unplugged.  The worst case scenario is that if you clear the CMOS by mistake, The BIOS settings will revert to their defaults.  Then by a process of elimination, you will now have found the clear password jumper. 

You only need to move the clear BIOS P/W jumper, and yes, you follow the instructions you posted above to clear the P/W.

Turn OFF the computer.
Move the jumper to Clear.
Turn ON the computer to POST screen
Turn OFF the computer.
Move the jumper back to Default
Enter BIOS setup to verify or configure new settings.

Now there is no 'clear' setting.  Just move the jumper one pin over and it can only go one way.  That is the clear position.

HP Recommended
I'm not trying to be a pain about this, but can you stated to mow the jumper to clear so I just move it over to the other position and that's fine? I just don't want to cause any harm to the PC.
HP Recommended

Yes.

Look at the orientation of the jumper.  It can only move one pin over from what I can see in the picture.

As long as the PC is off and unplugged, you should not harm the PC in any way.

Just make sure any jumper movements you do are with the PC powered off and unplugged.

I sometimes even push the power button to drain any residual power from the motherboard before proceeding to work inside the PC.

HP Recommended
Thank you so much! The one on the right didn't seem to do anything but the one on the left cleared the password. Much appreciated!
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.