Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23-k320ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, some background: A new software suite at my business requires Hyper-V (for which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro last week); and Hyper-V requires that Hardware Virtualization be enabled, and that requires BIOS access. Well, the BIOS is password protected, and it wasn't me who did it. I got the device brand new, and have been it's sole user.

Ergo, the BIOS password has to be factory.

I spoke to the store I brought the device from, who directed me to ask the HP helpline who then proceeded to tell me that I had to replace THE ENTIRE MOTHERBOARD! I was told that up until a few years ago, HP would provide the password, but have recently stopped doing so for "security reasons".
But I am the owner of this device, and I have the proof of purchase with me.

Again, I purchased this device brand new about 5 years ago, have been it's sole user, and I haven't had any need to access the BIOS so far.

The computer works just fine, so there's literally no reason to replace the motherboard.
I've been a happy customer of HP for as long as I can remember, but this recent episode has left me quite flabbergasted with HP's policies.

I need to access the BIOS, or the device is as good as junk to me!
Please help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Support Community Moderator
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.