Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
LuigiWriter Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Need to know will the HP 110-220z American Megatrends BIOS support booting from a usb thumb drive

Need to know will the HP 110-220z American Megatrends BIOS support booting from an Ubuntu Live DVD ISO  on a usb thumb drive with a boot sector

I need to fix a Ubuntu 16.04 load sectors corruption problem.  the cd/dvd drive has died

been through all the disable security and finally got the USB thumb drive listed in the memory list. 

The version of the BIOS is 2.15.126

I have not been able to find any specs on what it can and cannot do.

Now I have lost Ubuntu Grub loader and the machine starts loading win7 each time. It has not been used for over 2 years and Microsoft will demand two days of updates be loaded before I can access any drive from it.

I need the live CD Ubuntu to load from the thumb drive so I can fix grub and use utilities to fix the inability to read certian sectors. [Have run HP diagnostics on the Hard disk, no problems found.]

1 REPLY
Dean Dean
Dean
9047 831 2381
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Need to know will the HP 110-220z American Megatrends BIOS support booting from a usb thumb drive

The support page for that model indicates it came with Windows 8.1, which means it should also have UEFI BIOS.  Depending on the way the Ubuntu Live was added to the flash drive, it might not be done correctly.  See this page on Ubuntu and UEFI BIOS.  BTW: it needs to be a 64bit install

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation