Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
[HP Pavilion] Desktop- 0PO4UNO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

SWITCH ON; TV RECOGNISES HDMI1, BUT HP SPLASH SCREEN LEADING TO WIN 10 WELCOME SCREEN WON'T HAPPEN. This occurs all the time [last 5 days] now. I have to pull the power cord, re-plug and switch on the unit again. Then I get my Green Screen, "Please Wait", swirly cursor and my Win 10 Welcome screen comes up so I can Sign In. The whole pc is becoming slow - it's several years old now and gets about 3 hours' usage per day. I don't usually buy new electrical equipment until the old item conks out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

it's several years old now ...

I think that you may have a "failing" disk-drive.

When you power-on your computer, do you get the option to press a key to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics? If so, select to run the tests against your computer's disk-drive. Pass? Fail? Error-message?

Most disk-drives have a "no-questions-asked-replacement-policy" for 1 or 2 years. Should the disk-drive "fail" within that warranty period, you can get a free, but "empty", replacement. However, some disk-drives of mine have worked fine, for up to 10 years.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

it's several years old now ...

I think that you may have a "failing" disk-drive.

When you power-on your computer, do you get the option to press a key to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics? If so, select to run the tests against your computer's disk-drive. Pass? Fail? Error-message?

Most disk-drives have a "no-questions-asked-replacement-policy" for 1 or 2 years. Should the disk-drive "fail" within that warranty period, you can get a free, but "empty", replacement. However, some disk-drives of mine have worked fine, for up to 10 years.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't put up any error messages. I pull the power cord, replace it and press the ON button. When Everything's "UP", I  check Component Services - still no messages or alerts. I guess I'll have to carry on until something breaks.

HP Recommended

After contacting your Page, I tried something yesterday*, using (of all sources!) Microsoft Help within the pc. I've just turned this machine on, and everything was O.K. No Re-switching; Welcome Screen and straight in.

*I opened the Power Options and put the pc in Maximum State. It'll possibly grind itself to a halt at some point, but at least there WAS a solution. This pc was "unhappy" after Microsoft upgraded the O/S to Win 10 1904 a few weeks ago - without asking. It settled down after 2 Reinstalls. Recently, I got a new T.V. with 55" screen - not swank, just Presbyopia - and the pc would only work on HDMI-1 + ARC (manufacturer says that's how it is). INTEL downloaded some Drivers to take the new set-up into account. This may have put a strain on Boot-Up and Speed. Admittedly, I can run some old software now that vsn. 1904 wouldn't display properly. Anyhow, my domestic computer is behaving now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.