cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
A-Mac
Level 1
8 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Negative Start after Switch On HP Pavilon Desktop

HP Recommended
[HP Pavilion] Desktop- 0PO4UNO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

SWITCH ON; TV RECOGNISES HDMI1, BUT HP SPLASH SCREEN LEADING TO WIN 10 WELCOME SCREEN WON'T HAPPEN. This occurs all the time [last 5 days] now. I have to pull the power cord, re-plug and switch on the unit again. Then I get my Green Screen, "Please Wait", swirly cursor and my Win 10 Welcome screen comes up so I can Sign In. The whole pc is becoming slow - it's several years old now and gets about 3 hours' usage per day. I don't usually buy new electrical equipment until the old item conks out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
itsmyname
Level 9
5,033 4,948 232 647
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it's several years old now ...

I think that you may have a "failing" disk-drive.

When you power-on your computer, do you get the option to press a key to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics? If so, select to run the tests against your computer's disk-drive. Pass? Fail? Error-message?

Most disk-drives have a "no-questions-asked-replacement-policy" for 1 or 2 years. Should the disk-drive "fail" within that warranty period, you can get a free, but "empty", replacement. However, some disk-drives of mine have worked fine, for up to 10 years.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
itsmyname
Level 9
5,033 4,948 232 647
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it's several years old now ...

I think that you may have a "failing" disk-drive.

When you power-on your computer, do you get the option to press a key to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics? If so, select to run the tests against your computer's disk-drive. Pass? Fail? Error-message?

Most disk-drives have a "no-questions-asked-replacement-policy" for 1 or 2 years. Should the disk-drive "fail" within that warranty period, you can get a free, but "empty", replacement. However, some disk-drives of mine have worked fine, for up to 10 years.

A-Mac
Author
Level 1
8 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't put up any error messages. I pull the power cord, replace it and press the ON button. When Everything's "UP", I  check Component Services - still no messages or alerts. I guess I'll have to carry on until something breaks.

A-Mac
Author
Level 1
8 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After contacting your Page, I tried something yesterday*, using (of all sources!) Microsoft Help within the pc. I've just turned this machine on, and everything was O.K. No Re-switching; Welcome Screen and straight in.

*I opened the Power Options and put the pc in Maximum State. It'll possibly grind itself to a halt at some point, but at least there WAS a solution. This pc was "unhappy" after Microsoft upgraded the O/S to Win 10 1904 a few weeks ago - without asking. It settled down after 2 Reinstalls. Recently, I got a new T.V. with 55" screen - not swank, just Presbyopia - and the pc would only work on HDMI-1 + ARC (manufacturer says that's how it is). INTEL downloaded some Drivers to take the new set-up into account. This may have put a strain on Boot-Up and Speed. Admittedly, I can run some old software now that vsn. 1904 wouldn't display properly. Anyhow, my domestic computer is behaving now.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation