Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 700-527c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yes, my friends older computer (HP ENVY Desktop - 700-527c) died and I have been trying to help by phone to get it running. He lives in another state and doesn't have a computer repair store close to him. When he turns on the system he doesn't get any beeps but the fan on the power supply spins nothing else seems to run. NO beeps no video nothing. So I had him remove all components from the board and try a power up. He got 5 beeps which I believe means a dead CMOS battery, but I had him add just one memory stick and turn it back on. After adding the single memory stick he no longer got any beeps. I am having him put in a new battery and try hitting the ESC key after turning the power on to see if he gets to the BIOS screen. What are the next steps that you would recommend?

Randy

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Five beeps is probably a no memory error on a HP Desktop PC released for sale in January 2015.

It is tough to troubleshoot this type of problem on the phone and in a forum.

Could be a: loose connection or failing integrated component on the motherboard or the PSU could be in trouble. The PSU voltages could be okay but the power supply may not be providing enough amps to start the system.

Replacing the CMOS battery is good. Trying to start the PC with a minimal configuration is good.

The PC should POST with only RAM, onboard video ,and monitor if the motherboard/CPU and PSU are okay. I would disconnect USB peripherals and all non-integrated MB components.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks we will try that, I am of the opinion it is the PSU or motherboard.

Randy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.