Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
27 All in One 27r114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

IMG_0001.jpg

No functionality using "windows B" or f2, f10 etc

If I remove cmos battery will it force a bios repair?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Sniffy5200
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

HP computers have an emergency BIOS recovery feature that allows you to recover and install the last known good version of the BIOS.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

BIOS default: (Desktop PC)

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.
    Also, you try removing the battery and check.

NOTE: HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

While tapping the various related function keys will change the label at the lower right the machine will NOT go into any type of graphical menu.    This seems to be a common problem after HP Assistant update

HP Recommended

Can't enter bios setup.   I have repaired/built many computers in the past.  It seems like the bios needs to be reset via a jumper.

I am not afraid to look if you can provide me with the information.  I have the required "take apart" tools.

HP Recommended

Lastly, can I install a bios onto a flash drive to boot up?   The computer sees the usb ports as the keyboard has affects. 

HP Recommended

@Sniffy5200
Let's try bios roll back in order to isolate the issue. 

1. Turn off the computer.

2. With the computer off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

3. Still pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything appears on the display. You might also hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

Figure: HP BIOS Update screen

Photo of HP BIOS Update screen showing a progress indicator

If the HP BIOS Update screen displays, proceed to step 4.

If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, do one of the following depending on the condition:

• Computer boots into Windows - The computer will boot into Windows if the power button and keys are released too soon. Repeat steps 1 through 4 above, holding the power button down for 2 or 3 seconds.

• Power LED light turns off - The computer will turn off if the power button is pressed and held down too long. Repeat steps 1 through 4 above, holding the power button down for between 2 and 3 seconds.

• After repeated attempts, the HP BIOS Update screen does not open - Your computer does not support this function or it has a hardware problem that is preventing the tool from opening. Contact HP using the Contact Support tab at the top of this page.

4. After the BIOS is recovered, a Continue Startup button displays and a timer counts down. Click the Continue Startup button to restart the computer immediately. The computer will restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.

Figure: HP BIOS Update screen

Photo of HP BIOS Update screen showing a Continue Startup button
  5. When the computer restarts, a black screen appears with a message similar to the following:

A system BIOS Recovery has occurred. 
    BIOS Recovery (500) 
    Enter - Continue Startup

Press the Enter key to continue immediately or allow the computer to reboot automatically.

NOTE: After restoring the BIOS, if the computer repeatedly displays a message about the BIOS, go to the HP Drivers and Downloadspage and enter the model name of your computer. Select your computer model from the drop down menu and then select your operating system. Select BIOS to upload the latest version of the BIOS.
  6. After restarting, Windows may display a message stating that the computer was improperly shut down or that a boot problem was detected. Read and respond to the screens to continue.

To get the answer to this question, Yes! you can create a bios recovery flash drive, Click here to watch video on "creating a bios recovery flash drive for hp"
(its the same method for Desktop PC's also)  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Holding "windows B" as described has not affect.  The rollback does not start. I am familiar with this procedure from other computers but never had a machine that will not enter the bios menu.

After creating the bios recovery will it run AUTOMATICLY when inserted into the computer upon power up?  Remember this machine will NOT post.   There is no setup menu available.   Tapping F9 or F10 only changes the test in the lower right hand corner of the screen.  There are no prompts.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I also did as the below  video instructs.  The computer never beeps or atempts to enter bios recovery no matter how long I hold "windows B' on power up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjAZ0DTX3aI

HP Recommended

@Sniffy5200
I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.

To fix this issue, I would recommend shipping the unit in for a physical diagnosis will be a great option, You can contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options for your computer. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

actually i have the same issue.......this is no hardware nor software issue (read windows).....the problem is related to the latest bios which disable non-HP hardware......I guess you added a fast SSD into it.....

In my 460-p020nd I hade replaced my HDD with an Samsung SSD, this was working for 3 years without any issue....now with the latest bios my SSD is not recognized anymore and the only option to get the unit started again was to plug back my HDD.

I think this is a rediculous approuch and will push away a lot of customers to buy HP next time again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.