6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

No boot up backup drive full and overheating shutting down

HP Recommended
Hp envy beats enegry start 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, and thank you for the help, I had a windows up date, and my backup drive d is full, and I started getting a error code 90d and a thermal shutdown. Now my computer will not boot up to Windows or stay on for more than a few minutes. I tried a factory reset on it but it will not give me the option. It is greyed out. Please help. I only wanted to use this computer for music programs and a controller. Thanks again

5 REPLIES 5
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,659
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Tampatim123 wrote:

1. I had a windows update, and my backup drive d is full,

2. I started getting a error code 90d and a thermal shutdown.

3. Now my computer will not boot up to Windows or stay on for more than a few minutes.

4. I tried a factory reset on it but it will not give me the option. It is greyed out.

1. Is your "C:" disk-drive almost full?

If you physically disconnect your backup drive, and reboot, do you still have the same symptoms?

2. For a desktop:

Power-off your computer. Remove the side-panel. Disconnect the AAC power. Identify the fans (back-panel? inside the power-supply? On top of the heat-sink on top of the processor.  Try to "spin" those fans, to ensure that they spin freely, i.e., that they have not "seized-up". Reconnect the AC power. Power-on your computer, and look at the fans, to see that they do spin, i.e., not "dead" or not-connected to power. You should feel the air exhausting from the fan inside the power-supply. After a few seconds, hold-down the on/off button for 10 seconds, until the computer powers-off.

Or, for a notebook computer, you don't have the above option to physically view the fan(s).

Instead, Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run it, to show the temperature of the motherboard, the temperature of the processor, the temperature of the disk-drive, and the speed (in RPM) of any internal fan.  Tell us what it reports.

3. Overheating can cause an automatic shutdown.

4. Did you purchase the computer with Windows 7 or Windows 8, and accept the free upgrade to Windows 10?

If so, the "factory reset" option may have become unavailable to you.

Highlighted
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dean, thank you so much for the help, this is new for me so i will try to give you the correct answers to the questions you asked, but please understand that im new to this. that being said, the question about the c drive being full, is no.  something that may help is that i only use the computer for  a couple music programs and a dj controller. i have since learned that this is not what it is designed for. i am looking into how to disconnect the backup drive to reboot and see if the problem is gone. the computer came with windows 7. ( still looking for that information)  I do have a external harddrive wit a back up on it. i also ran a test on all the battery and  it failed. something about space used up on the battery also. im trying not to turn it back on unless i can fid a fix. i dont want to mess things up more than they are. About downloading  the free Speccy, i cant get the computer to stay on long enough to boot up, so im lost on that as well. i did take the battery out and it stayed on a little longer. but when i run any kind of system check, or put the external drive in, shutdown. i will be back with the rest of the information you asked about. i am learing.....thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,659
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Given that you purchased it with Windows 7 preloaded, I expect that the original one-year HP Warranty has expired.  So, HP will not fix your computer for free.

I still think that you have an "overheating" problem, causing the frequent shutdowns.

I recommend that you take it to a computer technician, to see if the internal fan is working.

Something is seriously wrong -- not using the computer is the correct response.

If "worst-comes-to-worst", and the computer becomes totally unusable, you could physically remove the disk-drive, and temporarily attach it to some other computer, and make a backup copy of all your Personal Files.

Highlighted
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you , its a little more than im ready to deal with, i have an appointment to have it looked at. thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
16 6 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I will do what You said, thank you so much

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation