Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-336
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a new graphics card.  

I did some research online and it seemed like the fist step is to disable secure boot in the UEFI/Bios.  So, I did that.  This involved disabling secure boot and enabling legacy boot, as per the instructions on HP's website.

Per the instructions, after I change those settings, the computer was supposed to restart and display a message that the boot mode has changed.  However, no input is sent to the screen after I made those changes (completely blank/black screen).  

I held down the power button to force the shut off.  Next, I started the computer up again.  But, same thing still.  The monitor power indicator light just flashes on and off to indicate that there is no input to the monitor.

2 other upgrades that I have done but that were working fine for at least several days before this: 

-I replaced the ram with 2 ram chips (yes, it's the right kind)

-I replaced the hard drive with an SSD.  I don't use the old hard drive anymore

Edit: Got the screen to display by connecting through VGA instead of DVI.  Why does it only work with VGA?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Silverthunder, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have issues booting into your PC after disabling secure boot in BIOS.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Is the graphics card compatible with your PC?

Does your PC boot without the graphics card.

As you mentioned after replacing the graphics card on your PC it boots to a black screen.

Secure Boot Configuration helps a computer resist attacks and infection from malware. When your computer was manufactured, UEFI created a list of keys that identify trusted hardware, firmware, and operating system loader code. It also created a list of keys to identify known malware.

When Secure Boot is enabled, the computer blocks potential threats before they can attack or infect the computer. For example, Secure Boot can prevent your computer from starting from illegally copied CDs or DVDs that could harm the computer. Secure Boot does not lock out valid recovery discs or Windows discs.

Secure Boot is enabled by default on computers that were manufactured with Windows 10. If Secure Boot has been disabled, follow these steps to enable it:

Turn off the computer.
Turn on the computer and immediately press F10 repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup Utility opens.
Use the left and right arrow keys to select the Security menu.
Use the up and down arrow keys to select Secure Boot Configuration, and then press Enter.
The Secure Boot Configuration warning displays. Press F10 to continue.
Use the left and right arrow keys to disable Legacy Support if it is enabled.
Use the up and down arrow keys to select Secure Boot, then use the left and right arrow keys to enable it.
Press F10 to accept the changes.
Press F10 again, then press Enter twice to restart the computer with Secure Boot enabled.

Refer this article to know more information about using secure boot on your PC.

Also,  Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot no boot issues with your laptop.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

yes, I did make other hardware changes, but those were working fine until I disabled secure boot in the first step of installing a new video card.

Sandisk 480 GB SSD drive

2x 4GB Adata ram chips.  Yes, they are the right type of RAM for the motherboard.

I was planning to install a Visiontek Radeon RX550

When the problem surfaced, the PC did not have any video card installed.  Only the on board video.

I mean this in the nicest way possible but your post does not answer my question.  I can see that your post does provide a lot of information, though.

HP Recommended

@Silverthunder, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Since you are running windows 10 on your PC. You cannot disable secure boot on your PC.

Secure Boot helps to make sure that your PC boots using only firmware that is trusted by the manufacturer.

After disabling Secure Boot and installing other software and hardware, it may be difficult to re-activate Secure Boot without restoring your PC to the factory state.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I disabled secure boot.  So, I think in your post you mean that it's not recommended to disable secure boot.  

Does HP recommend that we keep secure boot even when installing a new graphics card?

If I really wasn't supposed to do that, maybe I will backup, create a restore point, and reinstall the operating system.

HP Recommended

@Silverthunder, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Yes HP recommends keeping the secure boot enabled as I mentioned in my previous thread secure boot helps to make sure that your PC boots using only firmware that is trusted by the manufacturer.

So without enabling secure boot, you will not be able to boot into windows.

However, I have checked the specifications of the graphics card you are trying to install on your PC.

It needs a minimum power supply of 400W. According to the specifications of your PC, the PC was shipped with a 300W power supply.

Try upgrading the power supply on your PC and check if it helps.

After upgrading the power supply if you are unable to boot disable secure boot in BIOS and try booting again.

Refer the specifications of the graphics card from visiontek website to know more information.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.