Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Pro 6300 SFF
Ubuntu LTS

Hi, today a few minutes ago I was running my Compaq Pro 6300 SFF with Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa as how I usually run it, till I cleaned it carefully without removing cables or scratching the motherboard surface...till I started it up, booting in Ubuntu, typing lsblk to check if I mounted back correctly my hard drives on the motherboard since I changed the SATA cables, after that I turned it off, tried to boot on my Windows 10 USB Hard disk drive and I got a BSoD. After that, my computer booted in Ubuntu, and I wanted to boot into Windows, so I restarted the pc, pressing F9 to enter in boot menu, till I discovered that my hard drives are read for the startup, and after that they're dead. The fans after a few seconds are ramping up and not stopping, and I get no image on my monitor at all. I tried to disconnect the hard drives, remove the RAM sticks one each time since I have 2 RAM sticks, but still the same...

The computer has been manufactured back in 2013. I got it in the last December and it was working fine, however the case was beated up and I wanted to replace it, but I didn't found any cases...

What issue can be in this situation? It can be the motherboard itself or the power supply or the CPU? I assume that the CPU cannot be since it was working fine and I never worked on it and I never changed stuff on the motherboard side. All I modified was the hard drives by replacing them and adding RAM when I bought it...

The specifications are these ones:

Intel Core i3-2130 processor

Intel HD Graphics 2000

12GB of RAM (8GB+4GB RAM sticks)

2 500GB Seagate hard drives

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there! 

I got an update about this!
The motherboard was broken in that system but luckily i still had warranty from the company where i bought the computer second hand. The whole system was replaced with another one since the problem was a main fatal one i must say. Thanks for anyone who tried to help me through this trial and error

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@CipINFINIT -- The fans after a few seconds are ramping up and not stopping, and I get no image on my monitor at all. 

This is a symptom that the POST (Power On Self Test) has not successfully completed.

As part of the POST, the fans go to 100%, and then the POST measures the temperature of the CPU, and, if the temperature is low-enough, tells the fan to slow down.   That is what SHOULD happen.

It may be time for you to purchase a new computer. Given that computers with Windows 11 preinstalled might be available for XMAS, you could wait.  Or, buy a computer with Windows 10, with a "guarantee" that it will be compatible for a free upgrade to Windows 11 sometime in 2022.

Or, spend some money to replace the motherboard, and/or replace the CPU.

HP Recommended

Hey there, thanks for the reply!

As i can see, the POST is continuously failing to turn on, so i might replace the motherboard or cpu as you mentioned. To be honest, this pc caused to me lots of issues so i might replace it with my previous Hp Elitebook 2560P...
Also speaking of Windows 11, i might prefer to keep using Windows 10 or Ubuntu..

CipINFINIT

HP Recommended

Hi there! 

I got an update about this!
The motherboard was broken in that system but luckily i still had warranty from the company where i bought the computer second hand. The whole system was replaced with another one since the problem was a main fatal one i must say. Thanks for anyone who tried to help me through this trial and error

HP Recommended

@CipINFINIT -- Thanks for anyone who tried to help me

On this forum, you can thank by clicking the "Thumbs-Up" icon for each posting.

HP Recommended

Hey there! I know that, but it takes too much time so i'd rather type the thanks than just clicking each thumbs up to every post..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.