Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
800 G1 SFF

Hello. I have a HP 800 G1. I can not get it to run on onboard graphics. I activate the onboard graphics in the bios setup and save the configuration but when I boot without a graphics card it doesn't display. I have tried resetting the CMOS using the onboard reset button as per the manual. I have tried leaving the battery out all night. I have updated the bios to the latest version. There is an option for VGA options in the bios setup menu but it is greyed out and can not be accessed. The onboard video worked before I put a card in. Can I download a bios configuration file to enable this option or how can I solve this please? Thank yu for your time and attention.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For anyone else. This is how I solved it. Changed boot settings to legacy, disabled uefi,  changed security device to available and after a reboot I got my onboard video back!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Forgot to say, I have tried resetting the bios to defaults in setup but no video on boot. It seems that the default setup is onboard video which automatically turns of the onboard video when a card is inserted causing a catch 22 situation. Any support or ideas how to reset this is greatly welcome. Thank you all again.

HP Recommended

I'm assuming the option is greyed out when you have a add-in graphics card installed? (guess you can't see the display any other way at the moment)

Have you tried the display port output? Perhaps the VGA is broken (unlikely, but you never know)

Technically  it should allow you to run BOTH onboard & add-in at the same time (well the dell optiplex 9020's do which have the same gen CPU as you have)

HP Recommended

Thanks, yes I have tried both dp ports and the vga, on their own, into seperate monitors at the same time. The VGA options is greyed out all the time. I can change the option to enable onboard video but when I do I get nothing. I did during one attempt get an output from the vga at the same time as the add on card but stupidly pulled out the vga and lost it when I plugged it in.  There is power coming to the ports.  I dont' think there are any jumpers onboard for it.  If I put the card in, boot and go to setup, enable onboard graphics, shut down, restart, I get no signal from either dp port or vga.  It was working fine on vga before I tried the card. Thanks again for the support.

HP Recommended

Weird.. I can only suggest trying the 'CMOS Short/reset' jumper again on the mainboard. You'll know if it worked or not as the time/date will have been reset. I know you already tried this once, but there should be no 'tricks' to get it going off of the onboard video.

When you turn it on with the screen connected to the onboard, even though you get no display, does the PC sound like it's booting? Like can you hear any Windows sounds? Or does the HDD light go solid or blink a lot for the 1st minute or so?

HP Recommended

I have done the cmos button as the manual says, power out button down for at least 5 seconds several times and have left the cmos battery out overnight.  Yes the onboard should be the default.  I have tried without ram, or drives or keyboard /mouse attached. I have tried installing different graphics cards and different monitors. I could accept failing onboard graphics but what gets me is that every time I reset I get the onboard graphics set to disabled no matter what I try. I think it it was a failing onboard graphics I would be getting garbled output or if not the bios should still stay enabled, I don't think the setup would be related to the working /non working of the onboard graphics.  I have reseated and repasted the cpu. The pc boots fine in the background and loads linux or windows or whatever is on the drive. Never in 25 years had one like it. That's what got me posting here. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hello
normally, if you remove the graphics card, there is nothing to do!
We reconnect the screen to the motherboard, we restart the computer and it works!
Maybe some mishandling was made when you made the exchange!
Replace the graphics card, reboot, and check if you can install the intel driver
Check if it's the right model, and use the driver here:

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Small Form Factor (SFF) PC Specifications

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitedesk-800-g1-small-form-factor-pc/5387475

Otherwise, update the bios if there is no other choice !

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes I've had these models  before and they are usually a good solid performer, it's just this one.  I will try updating the bios again thanks.

HP Recommended

@stevecomputerSorry mate, I'm all out of ideas. This doesn't sound like it's relevant, BUT.. You haven't changed CPU's with a model that DOES NOT have integrated graphics? (eg xeon)

Also, on the screen you're using, you're not getting an 'out of range' message?

HP Recommended

No out of range, just no video though as you mention it, I did test another chip in it while the graphics card was in it. It was lga1150 i7 and fitted the slot but the pc booted with a red led on the power button and I took it out again. Never expected it to permanently change anything but there you go, my fault for making assumptions. I'll marks this as solved thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.