Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY 700-311na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My secondary drive is dying, and I need to take it out. I disconnected it and connected another drive. The PC then refuses to boot, says

>>Checking Media Presense.......

>>Media Present...... 

>>Start PXE over IPv4

Windows 10 is installed on the main drive, an SSD. When I disconnect the secondary drive, it cannot see the hard drive at all in the BIOS and eventually goes on to say it cant detect a boot drive. When I reconnect the secondary drive, the PC boots fine. If I connect a different hard drive, and leave the SSD in it still doesn't boot. Only the original hard drive makes it boot when connected. 

It may be worth noting that the HDD used to be the main drive, but I wiped it and installed Windows 10 on the SSD I bought, so the hard drive is still connected to the same SATA connection on the motherboard. The SSD is also completely healthy, so that's not an issue here. 

Any help would be appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

It needs to be the PRIMARY device. SATA 0

Perhaps use an install DVD/USB

and with the HDD out, but the SSD in Primary Position try something like

From either the C:\ or the X:\ prompt try the following

cd boot
bootrec /FixMBR
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBCD

You may need to change the Secure/Legacy  boot option, and the boot sequence also.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

It needs to be the PRIMARY device. SATA 0

Perhaps use an install DVD/USB

and with the HDD out, but the SSD in Primary Position try something like

From either the C:\ or the X:\ prompt try the following

cd boot
bootrec /FixMBR
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBCD

You may need to change the Secure/Legacy  boot option, and the boot sequence also.

HP Recommended

Would this require me to physically swap SATA connections on the board? I'd been planning on reinstalling windows soon anyway, so can I just do everything in the installer for that? 

I'll make sure to competely disconnect the secondary HDD when reinstalling 

HP Recommended

Hi

On the board or just cross over the cables.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

is what I use.

HP Recommended

Alright thanks for the help, I'll download that now, and if everything works then I'll mark that as the solution 🙂

HP Recommended

Prego.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.