Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

This problem has started in the last couple of weeks. Every morning when I turn on my PC, within 20 minutes it reboots. That's it for the day, it doesn't do it again. Suddenly the screen will go black for a few seconds, the power stays on and th HP logo appears and proceeds as if I had just turned it on. Any ideas? As it's driving me mad, as it always happens when I am in the middle of something! Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Spikey33 

The default setting when a PC crashes is to immediately reboot --which makes it impossible to see any kind of diagnostics messages or screen.

Here is a thread explaining how to disable that function:  (9) Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

Hope this helps

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks. Although I tried this a few days ago and has not made a difference. Also meant to mention there are no error messages or blue screen! Thank again

Regards,

Mark.

HP Recommended

@Spikey33 

If the PC is suddenly simply turning off, and there are no messages or BSODs, that is generally either a failing drive (which hangs when trying to read a bad sector) or overheating.  The second is more common in laptops and rare in desktops, so I would not suspect that is the case.

To determine the cause with hardware failures, you have to be able run diagnostics. We have no way of accessing your PC from here, so we can not do that for you. You have to do it yourself.

You do this by pressing the Esc key repeatedly when rebooting and then, when the HP Startup Menu appears, selecting Diagnostics (usually F2) and letting it run.

If it is NOT possible to run diagnostics, or if that does not work, then there is NOTHING more you can do by yourself -- and there is NOTHING we can do because we have no way of accessing your PC from here to run diagnostics or repair hardware.

You will need to have the PC physically examined in a service facility by folks that can run their own diagnostics to determine what is wrong with it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

It doesn't turn off, the screen goes black (power never goes off), for a few seconds, then the HP logo appears and it boots as normal. It then works perfectly well all day untill I shut it down. I will try the diagnostics.

Regards,

Mark.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.