Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 728
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop no longer boots up when I shutdown using Power > Shutdown.  I only get the HP Logo screen whewn I try to boot up..  But if I give it a hard reset it boots up no problem.  I verified nothing in my Startup settings is causing the issue.  Any idea what the problem is?

Ron 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@entrack,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1. Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Del keys simultaneously to invoke Task Manager.

Step 2. Then select the "Startup" tab and find out the unnecessary process with high startup impact and then hit the "Disable" button.

stop programs running at startup to fix windows 10 slow boot issue after update

Step 3. After that, switch to the "Services" tab and click "Open services". Select all unnecessary Microsoft services you want to disable and click on "Stop".

If you continue facing the issue, follow the below steps.

Step 1. Type power option in the search box from Start, then click "Power & Sleep settings".

Step 2. Click "Choose what the power button does".

choose what the power button does to disable fast startup

Step 3. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

Step 4. Untick "Turn on fast startup (recommended)". Then click "Save Changes".

untick turn on fast startup to fix windows 10 slow boot after update

Step 5. Reboot your Windows 10 and check to see if it boots quickly.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@entrack,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

What is the exact model for your computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you update the BIOS and the chipset driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Model is 750-160QE.

Should I still use the link you provided?

Do you reccomend a full backup before I update the BIOS?

Ron

HP Recommended

@entrack,

I recommend you back up the data and then update the BIOS and check. 

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I tried to update the BIOS from the link I received message

System SSID is not match Softpaq SSID, Skip Auto ececute Process

Which BIOS do you want to execite? 

1. HP Consumer desktop PC BIOS update (ROM Family  SIS 282C) BIOS V80.09

2. HP Consumer desktop PC BIOS update (ROM Family  SIS 282C) BIOS VA0.17

3 Exit Softpaq program

Choose option and press enter

Why does this say SSIS is not Matchup?  How ould I know if I should take option 1 or 2.

HP Recommended

@entrack,

I recommend you download and install HP support assistant from the below link and it will automatically download and install all the latest drivers for your computer.

Here is how it is done.

Download link: http://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/pl...

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

6. Perform any other update management actions as needed.

• Postpone an update: Click Remind me, and then select a time preference.

• Delete an available update: Click the Delete icon  to remove the update from the list and record it in the action log.

• Review updates status: Click Action log below the list to view installed, postponed, or deleted updates.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I clicked on the link you provided and I cannot find 'My devices' in the top menu or anywhere else on the page.

HP Recommended

@entrack,

You will find my devices in HP support assistant software once you download and install it. The link I have provided is to download and install the software.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The_Fossett

OK I made some progress. I was able to get updates from My devices.

The two updates listed with a yellow icon were

".Net application performance Enhancement" and "Essential System Updates for MS Win 10".

I installed both of them. It did an automatic reboot and came back up within a couple minutes.

I have tested several times since then.  When I Click Power > Shut down>  the HP logo screen appears anywhere from 4 to 5 1/2 minutes before getting the login screen. Which is better than before when the login screen would not come up at all.

When I do a Hard reboot, it only takes about one minute until I get the login screen.

Any idea why it takes so much longwe with a warm reboot?  As mentioned, I have done this several times with the same results.

HP Recommended

@entrack,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1. Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Del keys simultaneously to invoke Task Manager.

Step 2. Then select the "Startup" tab and find out the unnecessary process with high startup impact and then hit the "Disable" button.

stop programs running at startup to fix windows 10 slow boot issue after update

Step 3. After that, switch to the "Services" tab and click "Open services". Select all unnecessary Microsoft services you want to disable and click on "Stop".

If you continue facing the issue, follow the below steps.

Step 1. Type power option in the search box from Start, then click "Power & Sleep settings".

Step 2. Click "Choose what the power button does".

choose what the power button does to disable fast startup

Step 3. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

Step 4. Untick "Turn on fast startup (recommended)". Then click "Save Changes".

untick turn on fast startup to fix windows 10 slow boot after update

Step 5. Reboot your Windows 10 and check to see if it boots quickly.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.