Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys. I tried to turn on my pc today and it wast able to start. It kept giving the message: Media test failure non-system disk or disk error then Non-system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready. I tried unplugging some cables and plugging it again, changing some bios settings but still nothing. Can anyone help. Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would run HP Diagnostics, power on the PC, press "ESC", then select "F2".

Run system tests.

The OS storage device may have failed. Check (reseat data and power cables) and replace drive cabling to the drive. Try a different SATA port on the motherboard.

If this is true (the drive has failed) you will have to replace the drive, reinstall Windows, or recover a system image backup to the new dive to fix the problem.

A clean Windows install means you will lose data if you don't back up data to an external drive.

Regards

HP Recommended

I run the tests and the hard drive test came back both "NOT INSTALLED" I unplugged and plugged the cables and tried different ports, nothing. 😞 

HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive may have failed, or you have a bad cable; try a different data cable and power cable if possible, or you could have a MB controller problem.

Can you test the drive by connecting it to a different PC as a data drive if replacing the data cable on this PC does not help?  Check the second PC to see if the drive is detected in the BIOS or the operating system.

Or try a different drive on this PC to see if it is detected in the BIOS.

Typically the drive has failed in this scenario but the other points of failure must be eliminated.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.