• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

PC won't boot - media test failure non-system disk or disk error

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys. I tried to turn on my pc today and it wast able to start. It kept giving the message: Media test failure non-system disk or disk error then Non-system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready. I tried unplugging some cables and plugging it again, changing some bios settings but still nothing. Can anyone help. Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,187 6,172 589 1,313
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would run HP Diagnostics, power on the PC, press "ESC", then select "F2".

Run system tests.

The OS storage device may have failed. Check (reseat data and power cables) and replace drive cabling to the drive. Try a different SATA port on the motherboard.

If this is true (the drive has failed) you will have to replace the drive, reinstall Windows, or recover a system image backup to the new dive to fix the problem.

A clean Windows install means you will lose data if you don't back up data to an external drive.

Regards

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I run the tests and the hard drive test came back both "NOT INSTALLED" I unplugged and plugged the cables and tried different ports, nothing. 😞 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,187 6,172 589 1,313
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive may have failed, or you have a bad cable; try a different data cable and power cable if possible, or you could have a MB controller problem.

Can you test the drive by connecting it to a different PC as a data drive if replacing the data cable on this PC does not help?  Check the second PC to see if the drive is detected in the BIOS or the operating system.

Or try a different drive on this PC to see if it is detected in the BIOS.

Typically the drive has failed in this scenario but the other points of failure must be eliminated.

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation