Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Dc7900 small form factor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello gyz, I am having a problem after I cleard my pc it just won't get past memory check my Cmos battery was dead for sometime but pc worked fine. I checked rams harddrive and everything. I replaced the battery too but nothing. It just completes memory check and keeps blinking an underscore after. After memory check everything freezes except that underscore. I pressed the button which says cmos and after replacing battery first time it just keeps blinking underscore and no memory check after I restart it again memory check and freezes. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

If the CMOS battery was dead for some time, open the BIOS page and set to default settings and save before exiting.  Then reboot.  You probably will need to reset the time, also.

See if that helps.

If still no joy, try the suggestion by @Lil_Boy_Blue found here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Blank-screen-after-booting/m-p/7615950#M62018

The next choice is to go here with a working PC

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions.  Then boot this problem PC to that new media.  When it boots, pick "repair this PC" instead of install.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The problem is I can't go into bios it just checks the memory and after that freezes . if I press f9 or f10 before memory check is completed it says setup at the bottom right corner but doesn't go from there it just freezes.

HP Recommended

The way to get into the BIOS ect - before pressing the start button, tapping the Esc key.  Keep tapping the Esc key and then press start, keep tapping Ecs until a popup menu shows up.  You can then enter the BIOS F10.  You can also run diagnostics from the popup F2 to check if there are any hardware problems ( not at the same)

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
  • See I did this same thing which shows some extra text on screen but still before the text is finished keyboard works and setup text appears in bottom right corner but doesn't go into bios it just freezes there. And threre is no popup still same screen with memory at top but by pressing esc key ome more text appears (162-System Options Not set
  • Your system configuration..... ........ .)
  • And at the bottom right corner f9 Boot Menu, f10setup, f12 network 
  • But pressing these keys doesn't get me into bios it just changes the text to setup and I can press them before top paragraph appears after that it just freezes no key works .
HP Recommended

I suspect the CMOS battery is either in backwards, not seated properly, or is dead,  Recheck that.  Typically the battery is about the size of a nickel (USA) coin, and is a CR2032.  It is placed in the holder with the smooth side, with writing on it, facing up.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Okay so I checked it it was correctly placed but I removed it and placed it again but still no luck. But computer should boot even without the battery but it doesn't.

HP Recommended

I found a manual for that model that indicates the procedure to replace the CMOS battery, here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01516126

starting on page 52.  On page 54, the last set of steps

Reset the date and time, your passwords, and any special system setups using Computer Setup.Refer to the Computer Setup (F10) Utility Guide

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01527227

What keyboard is being used?

If the PC is not responding to keyboard commands, perhaps use the original keyboard instead of some other keyboard.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I read it and I did the same things mentioned in manual but it didn't work. Keyboard I am using a usb keyboard but I have tried a round jack type keyboard too both same work before the paragraph appears at screen after that I can on turn off the pc through power button no key works. Any other possible solution? Please I just can't figure it out.

HP Recommended

Hey, I don't know what happened but my problem is partially fixed. It Doesn't get stuck at memory check now it completes everything and shows "F1: Save Changes" but when I press F1 it changes into "Saving configuration" and just stops there doesn't boot anything just keeps showing saving configuration..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.