Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
SFF Desktop DC7900
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, Some days ago when I tried to turn on my pc, the power-on password prompt popped up. I tried all possible passwords but all in vain. I tried removing the password by jumper method and CMOS battery removal method also CMOS button method but it didn't help. Please help me to solve this problem.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that is a ten year old motherboard.

If the jumper method did not work, it is likely to be an end of service life situation.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

so, you mean it is trash?

HP Recommended

Hi, @mumer012001 

The specific issue is...that beginning with the dc7900 model series, HP instituted a new level of BIOS password security called 'Stringent Security.'

This is an additional BIOS setting that users can enable that prevents removing the green password jumper from clearing the power on password.

Since you removed the green P/W jumper and that did not clear the BIOS P/W, then someone had set the stringent security setting in the BIOS.

The PC is trash as you say, unless you want to replace the motherboard.

You can find the information I just posted in the dc7900 F10 setup guide at the link below...see page 6 all the way at the bottom.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01527227

Enable/disable Stringent Password (appears if a power-on password is set), which when enabled bypasses the onboard password jumper to disable the power-on password.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.