Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 20
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

I lost my desk top password. I purchased a  flash drive downloaded the info requested .. I put the flash drive in the Pavilion 20 and pressed rest. Press next... then it says "The password key disk is in the Follow Drive.. the drop down menu says USB DIVE F..I PRESS NEXT THEN IT SAYS"THE DISK IS NOT A PASSWORD RESET DISK.. OTS A FLASH DRIVE WHY IS IT SAYING DISK.. do anyone have a solution of what to do???

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi

What/Which flash drive did you purchase?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Can you navigate to a screen similar to this?

W8 Repair.png

AND then something like this appears...

Recovery Reinstall.png

HP Recommended

@Taffyt 

Did you use Windows to first create this password reset disk using the USB  stick?

Asking, because the error message you're getting indicates that it is not properly formatted and loaded to serve as a password reset disk.

Also, if instead, you bought this from a third party, then we are NOT allowed to provide you any assistance, as forum policies prevent us from assisting folks in bypassing their passwords.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.