Taffyt
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Password reset

HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 20
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

I lost my desk top password. I purchased a  flash drive downloaded the info requested .. I put the flash drive in the Pavilion 20 and pressed rest. Press next... then it says "The password key disk is in the Follow Drive.. the drop down menu says USB DIVE F..I PRESS NEXT THEN IT SAYS"THE DISK IS NOT A PASSWORD RESET DISK.. OTS A FLASH DRIVE WHY IS IT SAYING DISK.. do anyone have a solution of what to do???

2 REPLIES 2
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 702
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

What/Which flash drive did you purchase?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Can you navigate to a screen similar to this?

W8 Repair.png

AND then something like this appears...

Recovery Reinstall.png

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,925 30,832 2,818 6,794
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Taffyt 

Did you use Windows to first create this password reset disk using the USB  stick?

Asking, because the error message you're getting indicates that it is not properly formatted and loaded to serve as a password reset disk.

Also, if instead, you bought this from a third party, then we are NOT allowed to provide you any assistance, as forum policies prevent us from assisting folks in bypassing their passwords.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation