Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion 500-007a desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello folks,

I have an issue with using my gpu, a gtx 750-phoc with my desktop, I am running windows 10 pro.

If I remove it and boot up, everything is working fine, I install it and it boot up won't get past the hp logo screen.

It was working before around 4 days ago. I read some posts here and tried using the turning on legacy and disabling the secure boot after I updated the bios successfully to v80.52.

Can anyone help ?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings Barti,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You should also uninstall the current graphics drivers before installing the 750. You need to drill down to the generic Windows graphics drivers.

Disabling Secure boot and enabling Legacy boot before installing the 750 should do the trick. But you have save changes and exit the BIOS. Then you must enter the confirmation code to complete this change.

Regards

HP Recommended

I have solved this problem by tweeking some bios settings. Thank you for your response Grzwacz.

HP Recommended

Hi Barti,

Sounds good.

Regards

HP Recommended

Woops it happened again. This thing is killing me.

I can now rule out the gpu because I have two and have tested them both somewhere else and they work just fine.

Any ideas Grzwacz?

HP Recommended

Hi Barti,

Well, this is perplexing.

Your PC has the required 300 watt PSU. You are disabling Secure boot, enabling Legacy boot, and confirming the changes at next boot before you install the 750.

It seems, if I am understanding correctly, the PC will temporarily boot to the 750 but then you lose this functionality.

You have also verified the 750 works in a different PC.

It has to be something with the BIOS settings on the PC. 

I have never seen this situation, after changing Secure boot, Legacy boot, and uninstalling the current graphics drivers, where the graphics card works and then does not work.

You said you tweaked some BIOS settings. What did you tweak?

Maybe try resetting CMOS (pull the MB battery for about 10 minutes), you might install a new CR2032 battery to be safe.

Then disable Secure boot, enable Legacy boot. Exit, save changes, and confirm using the confirmation code.

Try a different PSU. Maybe the card is pushing the factory PSU or the factory PSU is failing.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi there, I bought a new PSU of 500w the other day because I even got another gpu, a gtx 970 cause it was a great deal. It did the same thing, booted for the whole day and then just crashed randomly and now it won't even boot with either gpu just the onboard graphics.

Regarding what I tweaked in the BIOS, I only touched the legacy and secure boot part.

There are some some settings in the Bus Options tab with stuff like VGA Palette snooping which is Enabled by default and Pci SERR#(Not so sure if I remembered that correctly) but it is disabled by default. 

Wanted some help about those as I have no idea what they do and didn't want to touch them first.

HP Recommended

Hi Barti,

You are correct, don't mess with the other BIOS settings.

Are you installing the latest Nvidia graphics drivers after successfully loading the operating system with the Nvidia graphics cards installed?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

I cannot install the drivers as the pc cannot boot with them or it boots but I cannot see anything else apart from the hp logo of my monitor.

I have decided to tomorrow try and install windows 8.1 because the bios description was for windows 8.1 and I have windows 10.

I will give it a go and I will communicate further about the results though I have much reservation that it will do much to help my current situation.

Thank you again for your reply, much appreciated. I am off to bed now as tomorrow is a busy day for me. 

Goodnight. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.