Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion 500-007a desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

So I have two graphics cards a gtx 750 and a gtx 970. 

The pc would sometimes work very well, I would do my work (some animation and video editing) and aslo enjoy some games when I am free untill sometimes the pc just crashes when I am gaming or even just listening to some music. I have tested the gpus on someone's else rig and it is doing very fine.

What I don't get is that sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I have gone to various forums and have ensured that the legacy boot is turned on and my bios is up to date for my old build from hp themselves.(v80.52)

I would really appreciate some insight from anyone.

Ooh and also I have a 500w power supply so it is not it (I think) because it is barely a month old.

Excuse my poor English. It is my second language.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have not yet found a solution to my current problem and therefore will try to get a new much modern motherboard and will share the results.

Thank you for your replies though. 

Much appreciated.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

"I have two graphics cards a gtx 750 and a gtx 970. "

So what is the configuration?  SLI?

SLI isn't suported in a mainstream HP desktop.

You are running an unsupported OS. There are available drivers for Windows 7 and 8, but nothing newer. Chances are that the lack of an upgraded BIOS and chipset, coupled with running two video cards in SLI are the cause of your desktop PC's instability.

There has not been a BIOS update for your PC  since 2014.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi erico,

I am sorry for my lack of clarification, I do not have an SLI config, I was just mentioning to show that I have troubleshhoted the cards on my friends pc and they work and also that the issue may not be with one card.

I am going to try installing windows 7 and see if there is anything changing.

But how comes it worked fine just a day ago ? It is mind boggling.

However, thank you for your reply sir.

HP Recommended

It would help to know the specific cards. I mean the brand and model. Specific information helps.

Personally, I would not go back as far as Windows 7, unless that is the only OS  for which you have a license activation key.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The cards are GTX 970 DUAL FAN FROM ZOTAC, ZT-90101-10P and the 750 is a GTX750-PHOC-1GD5 from ASUS.

The links are GTX 970 and GTX 750.

I have borrowed a windows 8.1 from a friend and will check it out. 

HP Recommended

What is the version of the installed BIOS?

From what I have read, version 8 has no issues with EFI  vBIOS enabled video cards.  Version 7 is not viable for EFI enabled PCIe x16 video cards

The latest version is:

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AE0)5.1 MBsp69848.exe

Your desktop PC's support portal driver download web document.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-500-000-desktop-pc-series/5358992/model...

HP Recommended

Hi,

My BIOS is v80.52 last updated in 2014.

But I have followed your link and will try to install it to check if it makes a difference.

HP Recommended

does your installed bios have a security --> secure boot configuration section similar to this one?

Check to see what system information states for bios version.

bios_v.8.png

HP Recommended

Yes sir.

It is exactly the same as that one.

I have even enabled legacy and disabled secure boot just like that.

The bios that I have is the same one that you provided the link in your previous reply.

HP Recommended

You should disable legacy. Both of your GTX cards are EFI vBIOS.

Have you set up your OS to provide memory mini-dumps?

That way you can find out what is causing the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.