Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 24-B010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello:

My parents All-In-One was running slow for them. I decided to run windows updates on their PC. After running the updates, during the reboot, I heard "two long beeps, two short beeps". This happened about 5-8 times in a row and then silence. It was still on, but no input and no output. After an hour of waiting for it to return (figured it needed time to update the BIOS), I decided to disconnect the power. 

I tried several attempts to get the PC to boot normally. I then attempted various key combinations, even though the keyboard was not lighting up to indicate power and the monitor had no display. The two long beeps, two short beeps continued. I even let it sit overnight in its stale state. The next morning, no new results. No input or output was working.

I finally decided to open it up and try a Pin combo reset. It had a few options on the board. Two of which (9-10) was BIOS reset and the other (7-8) was a BIOS bypass. [I can't remember the exact terms used on the board]. I tried these options, but still the same beeping. I also reseated the RAM but still nothing seemed to work.

Any ideas or direction on what to do next would be much appreciated....

Outside of shorting the board in the right spot, I'm running low on ideas

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@WIFIDRS 

While I appreciate your being willing to check out the PC -- you're charging into things that are first, very destructive, and second, probably have little or nothing to do with the actual issue>

Why does everyone seem to think that a slow PC must be due to a BIOS issue (which it is NOT) and then charge into a BIOS update that could likely TRASH the PC?

Quit trying to short out leads or you will fry the motherboard!!

The BIOS version has NOTHING to do with the runtime performance of the PC.  If it is running slow, then it is most likely a failing drive -- which a BIOS update will do nothing to correct. 

So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the HDD (Hard Disk Drive): http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the HDD you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

If the drive checks out OK, then report that and I can provide you options for reinstalling Windows on your PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

> I heard "two long beeps, two short beeps". This happened about 5-8 times in a row and then silence. 

The POST (Power On Self Test) produce those "beeps" when the POST cannot complete normally.

At that point, the POST cannot display any error-message on a screen. Compare to a new-born baby who cannot speak to you to explain why it is crying.

Does the computer have both "onboard" display adapter and a PCI/PCI-e/AGP add-in video-card?

If so, try removing the add-in card, and connect your monitor to the onboard socket.

Also, if so, reseat the add-in video-card.

Also, if so, try a different add-in video-card.

A fully agree with @WAWood -- do not "touch" the BIOS as your first step in trouble-shooting, because it rarely will help, and more commonly, anything you do might really truck things up.

HP Recommended

Guys your harsh lol But I appreciate your enthusiasm!

so this was far from the first thing I tried.  Also, by changing the pins and reseating the RAM I got it to boot on again (Just one more time). Unfortunately, during the software attempt at bios reset it bricked ( or reset to baby again) 

Remember this is an All in one. Super difficult to work on and diagnose, let alone take apart. I would have never done it if I knew I had another option. Also were talking about currupt Bios. So video out and “all input” is gone during corruption of the All in one series. (Check YouTube) since there is no option for recovery using key strokes. If this were a desktop or laptop I wouldn’t even need to post. 

I feel like there should be a class action lawsuit for this one. Since the issue stems back to the early 2010 series. But the PC tech in me won’t believe it.

HP Recommended

I like the option of video card add in! However on this series I don’t think there is an option outside of HDMI out, Which falls under bios control Would I need anotherr open AIO to do it?

HP Recommended

Sorry, I didn’t answer your direct question. No it does not have a secondary PCI slot. I wish it did. I wouldn’t even need to post. I would have definitely tried it. Desktops are so much easier to work on than these All in ones

HP Recommended

I haven’t had a chance to get back over there this week. But I believe the beep codes do change by removing the hard drive.

I actually tried boot with no hard drive and a boot with no RAM to see if I can get different codes. I did. It brought me back to communication of corrupt BIOS from the PC.

HP Recommended

This link is great! But unfortunately, with this particular situation on the All in Ones, It’s not even an option.

please check it out on YouTube. There are many of these cases if this same issue that include bizarre (and quite random IMO) fixes. I feel like a class action may be on the way.

HP Recommended

I am thinking about a previous "overheating" situation that has damaged the motherboard and/or the integrated video circuitry, thus causing intermittent issues.

When you disassembled it, was it very dusty inside? Clogged fan(s) and heatsink(s) ?

HP Recommended
Spoiler
It was surprisingly clean. These units really keep the dust out...81D4D7D0-FBD3-42D3-967C-70507A25AD80.jpeg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.