Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One 24-f0066
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am having an issue that I cannot find a solution for anywhere, I have it marked as a hardware issue but it may be software as well, unsure.

I am repairing an HP All-in-One 24-f0066

I am stuck on a screen that is listing basic computer specs and says press ESC to enter startup, upon hitting enter it does nothing but say 'Startup' at the bottom right I cannot enter any BIOS, recovery, or settings

I have tried:

- Resetting CMOS battery (got a brand new one as well)

- Replacing hard drive with a known working one

- Holding win + 8 and win + 8 + f2 to bios recovery, however after the 8 beeps it would boot to the same 'press ESC' screen

- Taking out and putting back in HDD, ram, and CMOS

- Putting one ram in at a time

I believe that it has something to do with the BIOS however I do not know how to flash a new BIOS without being able to enter it. I am currently going to be downloading an HP_Tools USB partition to see if that will help as well.

I can attach any photos, answer any specific questions and do pretty much anything I can.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The primary complication is that you cannot enter BIOS SETUP.

If you disconnect the "data" and "power" cables from the disk-drive, and then restart the computer, does it show a message like "no bootable device", followed by "press <blah> to enter BIOS SETUP"?

Or, with the computer powered-off, hold-down any keyboard key, and then power-on the computer, to see if you can generate "keyboard error -- press <blah> to enter BIOS SETUP" .

Since you changed disk-drives, you may need to use BIOS SETUP to "add" the replacement disk-drive to the top of the list of "bootable" devices.

HP Recommended

Hello
you say you are fixing the computer .. and have tried a whole bunch of manipulation ..
outside, what we do not know is what happened before ...
With the original hard drive there was the same problem ??
To open the bios menu, did you just try to hit the f10 key from the start?
Is the added hard drive blank?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Apologies for the late reply

Upon disconnecting the HDD there are no changes to the menu. The only piece that seems to have a noticeable effect when removed is the RAM which will completely disable the computer and start beeping the RAM error code, as expected.

Removing the CMOS battery and HDD causes no differences from the menu.

HP Recommended

Apologies, but I am not sure. The drive that was connected had Windows 10 installed, and I tried using two other HDDs that also had windows 10 installed and were known to be working.

I have tried hitting the key and the only difference it makes is saying 'setup' at the bottom right and it does not enter any menu.

HP Recommended

I am stuck on a screen that is listing basic computer specs and says press ESC to enter startup, upon hitting Enter it does nothing but say 'Startup' at the bottom right I cannot enter any BIOS, recovery, or settings

What happens if you (maybe repeatedly) press one of:

• Escape
  • F1
  • F2
  • F10
  • F12
  • Delete

as soon as you see the summary-listing of the hardware ?  Try this with the disk-drive NOT connected.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.