Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7800 Convertible Minitower PC

Hi 

I know this is old an issue but I want someone to answer and try together to find a solution for it , I read a lot and no one from HP experts give a confirmed answer, all just tries from here and there.

2215-EIT Failure VA boot record read failure. Ensure Drive with VA Image Installed correctly.

Bios vr 1.35

All started when replacing CMOS battery, something change and now I have this error.

Always this error when harddisk is connected.

If VA disabled from bios setup . another error asking to enable it .

If you log with Ctrl p to mebx ( only when hard disk is disabled) no VA option to disable or to go to normal boot.

Its Something with the bios and its configurations . if hard disk is connected no way to go to boot options as its check VA before and show the error .

Now way to disable VA .?! 

Ppl who design and program this bios couldnt find a way to solve this issue ? 

A lot off ppl waiting response about this problem.

Thanks in advanced 

Marwan

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi

Can you access

Security > System Security > Virtualization Technology (VTx)
Security > System Security > Virtualization Technology Directed I/O (VTd)

Disable both

HP Recommended
Hi . And thanks for the replay.
Whenever you disable this options. I received another error at same booting stage asking me to enable them again from setup, i think error 2223 or sometging. And the strange thing that it still give me this error even if i removed the harddisk
HP Recommended

Hi

Well looking around the internet, it affects various makes of PC, not exclusively HP and there is no known cure.

But if you visit Lenovo or Dell there may well be a fix for that brand which could give you some clues.

HP Recommended

Thanks again. 

Honestly  I removed tens of bios batteries for other motherboards and nothing happened , and they are not whole PC brands just normal and even cheap MBs. And here we talk about compatible PC , same bios I even didn't upgrade anything .

Searching this (VA boot record read failure) and I got all results related to HP brand .

Is there anyone from HP have clue about this !

HP Recommended

Hi

Stuff you already tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJIoZzMho2I

2214-EIT Failure   VA partition corrupt or missing.  
Ensure drive with VA image is installed correctly.

2215-EIT Failure   VA boot record read failure.  
Ensure drive with VA image is installed correctly.

If you delete it, or replace the HDD then maybe that is where you need to concentrate your efforts.

A VA can be uninstalled. This can be because a VA is no longer needed or the user wants to install a dif-
ferent VA. Only one VA can be installed at any given time.
The following provides an example of a VA 2.6 appliance uninstallation:
1. Run the VA uninstallation file.
2. Reboot the system.
The ME firmware will display an error stating that VA has been uninstalled with the VA boot policy set
to Verified Boot and Halt. You will then see the 2221 POST error message (see“Appendix A: POST
Error Messages” on page 13).
3.Cycle power to the system and go into the MEBx by pressing Ctrl+P during POST.
4. Enter the MEBx password.  probably admin admin respectively.
5.SelectIntel AMT Configuration.
6. Select VA Configurationat the bottom of the list and change the VA Boot Policy to Normal Boot.
Depending on the BIOS version, the system may reboot and then display the 2228 POST message
(see “Appendix A: POST Error Messages” on page 13). This is an informational message that lets the
user know that VTx has automatically been disabled. Press F1 to continue the boot process.
The system boots normally to Windows XP.

HP Recommended

okej 
Thanks. 

As you said, the Hdd is related to the issue for sure, the problem is booting from something other than Hdd like USB will give the same results ( even other HDD ).

The problem that if we disable VA from Bios it will never continue booting and will ask always to enable it first.

The booting sequence check VA in storage ( HDD, USB ) then continue, if this VA exist then you can login to the windows and uninstall it, so you can be able to do your instructions in uninstillation, what i think that it was uninstalled in my situation and when i replace the Bios battary the BIOS back to its defults and asked for VA again , while its not on my HDD then we have the problem, or its been damaged maybe. in same situation new HDD or other USB will not be useful.

-i cant disable it ( it should be uninstalled from windows first ).
-i cant login to windows to uninstall it.
-i dont know if i can uninstall VA from place other than windows ( i cant boot to anywhere anyway in my case )

So my next  question is

How i can install VA on USB or HDD, taking in consediration that i cant login to widnows??

Can we ask for new BIOS to instal from USB at Bios setup F10 , this BIOS has VA disabled and normal boot by defult ? 

Thanks 
Marwan

HP Recommended

Hi

In theory there is a copy of your bios on the HDD, and something like this should repair/replace it.

• Plug into a power source using the power adapter.
  • With the PC off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time.
  • While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).
    The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

HP have prepared rather lengthy documents,
and there are videos to watch, to cover, seemingly, all BIOS eventualities.

BIOS Problems DESKtops.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682

BIOS CheckSum error
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01368145

HP Recommended

CF4 

Nothing happened with bios recovery. I consider the hard disk is broken now . and new hard disk has no VA.

Looking for a way for new bios with VA disabled  . Or install  VA on harddisk\USB 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Prego.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.