Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 790-0050xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received my computer a few days ago. Everthing seemed to be working fined until it restarted into repair mode and it was a costant loop. Checking and fixing disk errors and then not able to repair. Here is what I have done so far

1 - Recovered using the HP recovery option. It did not work. It stopped after it started installing Windows 10 and gave an error that there was no operating system.

2 - Installed Windows 10 from a USB drive after I donwloaded it from Microsoft via a second computer. This worked and I was able to install windows and all the drivers for this model using the HP website. HOWEVER, i was never abe to use the HP recovery to truly set it to factory settings.

I found the computer back into the Repair loop.

3- I used the troubleshoot assistant from this website and found that hte symptoms were possibly caused by the Optane Memory. Followed the instructions to disable it in the BIOS. However, it didn't boot to windows. Instead, the computer would turn on, but the screen would be blank. It was like that for many, many hours.

4- Reisntalled Windows 10 a second time but now the BIOS doesn't show that Optate Memory is enable or even a way to enable it back.

Right now, I have a full working system, but without all the factory software since I can't use the recovery partition. Also, a bunch of small and empty partitions were created by the HP Recovery that didn't work the first time.

I guess my question is - Assuming that disabling the Optane Memoery from the BIOS works and the computer will not go into a boot loop, how do I get it work ? I mean, that's a feature that is supposed to work. THe BIOS settings to enable it are no longer avaialble.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Bios was updated to the latest. I finally got it fixed, but I had to do it manually.

For others , in case they search, it was the Optane Memory.

1- I had to disable it from the BIOS settings and then used another computer to create a Windows 10 USB installation drive. 2- Did a clean installation of Windows 10 . One thing I noticed is that there were TONS of new partitions that were not there before. Two of them were identical called RECOVERY. In any case, I used Minitool Parition to get rid of the empty new ones and just cautiously kept the ones from HP.

3- downloaded most of the drivers from the HP website and then used the Intel Optane Memory manager to enable it again. Otherwise the BIOS would not show it as available anymore.

Things seems to be working now. The computer does seem to be running slower than when I turned it on the first time. I'm testing games and adobe products, and so far no more crashes.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@chamacos

Have you tried resetting BIOS to Default settings? Not sure where that setting is in your model's BIOS but it will be an option.

Do you have the latest BIOS?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-gaming-790-0000-pc-series/20395823/mode...

If all else fails I would contact HP for warranty service. I know it is a real pain if you have to ship it but better than all of the things that aren't working and may never.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-790-0000-pc-series/20395823/model...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

The Bios was updated to the latest. I finally got it fixed, but I had to do it manually.

For others , in case they search, it was the Optane Memory.

1- I had to disable it from the BIOS settings and then used another computer to create a Windows 10 USB installation drive. 2- Did a clean installation of Windows 10 . One thing I noticed is that there were TONS of new partitions that were not there before. Two of them were identical called RECOVERY. In any case, I used Minitool Parition to get rid of the empty new ones and just cautiously kept the ones from HP.

3- downloaded most of the drivers from the HP website and then used the Intel Optane Memory manager to enable it again. Otherwise the BIOS would not show it as available anymore.

Things seems to be working now. The computer does seem to be running slower than when I turned it on the first time. I'm testing games and adobe products, and so far no more crashes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.