Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded the CPU on my Omen 880-020 from Ryzen 1400 to Ryzen 1800X, and when I turned on the desktop I get the 3-2 BIOS beep error. I did not changed my RAM. I had the original 16 GB RAM (2x8GB) installed both in the red dimm slots. If I remove any one of the RAM sticks and run with 8GB, the desktop starts up fine, and if I move both RAM sticks from the original position (both in the red dimm slots) to one stick in first black dimm slot and first red dimm slot closest to the CPU, the computer will start up but only in single channel mode. I also tried 32GB (4x8GB) to see what happens, and I also get the BIOS beep error. The next step after I got the CPU upgrade going was upgrading the RAM to 32GB. The BIOS was current before I upgraded the CPU.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC worked when you had a 1400 and two 8 GB sticks of RAM installed in channel A (red memory slots).

You then installed a 1800X. You did not touch the RAM prior to installing the 1800X. Now one stick of memory does not work.

I would remove the 1800X. Inspect this CPU for possible bent pin(s) which could cause the memory error you are seeing. It sounds like the second memory slot is not communicating with the CPU. Remove the CR2032 MB battery to reset CMOS.

Try the 1400 again.

Regards

HP Recommended

I works when I switch back to the original CPU. I did clear the CMOS when I was troubleshooting with the 1800X installed that didn't solve the problem. I figure it was the 1800X but I was hoping it was just a setting or something I had to change.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would guess a CPU problem, any bent pins? Your MB supports a 1800X out of the box but you may need a BIOS update. 

Did you check for any BIOS updates prior to installing the new CPU?

Regards

HP Recommended

No bent or missing pins, I checked when initial installation of the 1800X CPU. The BIOS is current, was current prior installation.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would suggest the CPU may be defective. Return to seller.

Try the CPU in a different MB or have a local PC tech check the CPU in a different MB.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.