cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Hoespilaar
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Ram upgrade problems

HP Recommended
Hp compaq dc5800 small form factor
Linux

I am using an old dell compaq 5800 as a minecraft server, and wanted to upgrade my ram. There were already 4 x 1gig sticks installed, so I got 4 x 2gig sticks (patriot psd22g80026h). After replacing them with the old ram, my system wouldn't boot up and gave me 5 beeps. From my research that means there is a ram issue, wich would be logical.

After putting the old memory back in the system booted like normal. After that I tried every new stick in the first slot, wich all gave the same error. I also tried doing in pairs, following the color coded slots. After that I tried one stick in every slot, all to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,604 681 1,651
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

It appears the new memory hits all of HP's requirements. See pages 17 and 18 at this (Link) for memory requirements and placement on the motherboard.

I can only guess there could be a problem with secondary timings on the new modules which conflict with HP BIOS SPD data or all of the new modules are bad (very unlikely).

Regards

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
141,522 65,086 22,094 34,016
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, @Hoespilaar 

Can you get this memory in Belgium?

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F...

This is what I used in my dc7800 and dc7900 PC's.

The dc7800 is the upscale model of the dc5800. 

It has the similar Intel series 3 chipset as the dc5800,  but also offers support for AHCI and RAID.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation