Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop 590-p0054
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavillion Desktop 590-P0054 shuts off randomly. I bought the PC new only 6 days ago from Best Buy and this has happened every day, although it hasn’t happened when I’ve actually been on the PC. In each case I was away from the computer for 30 minutes-8 hours and when I came back it was off.

After it randomly shuts off, you cannot turn it back on with the power button. I tried holding the power button for 1 second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds and it still won’t turn on. The only way to get it to turn on again is to unplug it from the wall/powerstrip and plug it back in (Our house was built in 2003 so I’m sure it is not an electrical issue with the house). I also know it didn’t simply go into hibernation because if it was in hibernation it would turn back on after pushing the power button.

After plugging it back in I get an error message each time that says:

• The CMOS checksum is invalid. The CMOS will be reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted. Please check your BIOS setup options to see if they changed. CMOS Reset (502). Enter-Reboot the system

I have done quite a bit of research on the HP Community and have since done the following to try to correct the issue:

• Went into HP Support Assistant to check for any updates. There haven’t been any and the system checks out OK
  • Performed both the System Fast Test and the System Extensive tests. Both passed
  • Looked at the System Information and it indicated that I had BIOS version F.12-08/02/2018. I noticed the most recent BIOS available for this PC is F.20 so I installed it (indicates the BIOS date is 11/01/2018). This didn’t solve the issue either as it shut down within an hour of installing the updated BIOS. I had to unplug and plug it back in to boot up. After it boots up the PC works great but the continual shutting down each day is getting frustrating and the unplug/plug in method is probably not good for the long-term health of the PC. 

Not really sure what the next step should be. Obviously, the PC is still under warranty since I’ve only owned it for 6 days.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Billyred

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Echo_Lake is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message to assist you with the next course of action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, i have the exact same problem on HP 290 G1, can you please tell me what to do?

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having the same problem on my HP 290 G1. Would you be able to provide assistance?

Thank you

Ben

HP Recommended

We have the exact same model and the same problem.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue.  My brand new Pavilion 590-P0054 shuts down with no warning and will not power back up unless I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in.  This machine is less than 2 weeks old.  How do I fix it?

HP Recommended

So I've had some success with solving this issue myself. Checking the event logs I had a long list of Kernel-power 41 errors that seemed to coincide with the dates and times I restarted my computer after a unexpected shutdown.

I've since disabled every eco setting in Windows, updated drivers etc and checking my logs again I've not had a Power issue since. Fingers crossed.

Quick summary of actions:

- Set all 'turn off after' settings to 'Never' - Including Hard Disk in Advanced Power Settings (missed that one originally)

- Updated every driver in the device power manager (Turns out my mobo driver needed updating. which in turn caused the BIOS to update when i restarted the computer)

- Turned off 'fast startup' in advanced power settings

I don't know if any one issue solved the problem but I just ran them all anyway, essentially I followed the steps in this blog

https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/12891-how-to-fix-kernel-power-error

As said I've not had an unexpected shutdown since. Worth a shot for anyone who still has this issue! Best of luck

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.