Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z440 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I forgot the BIOS password, how do I reset it?

Serial No. **Bleep**

Product No. F5W13AV

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you did not set stringent security when you created the BIOS P/W, you can clear it by removing the green password jumper on the motherboard.

See chapter 6, page 99 and 100 of the service manual at the link below, for how to clear the BIOS P/W.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04823811

HP Recommended

I have long put the password and no longer logged into the BIOS, so I do not remember what level of security I put. I took out the CMOS-battery for 12 hours, but this did not help reset the password

now try the option with a jumper...

HP Recommended

For my Z440 they said to with power disconnected and also disconnect other peripherals...then press this YELLOW button for 5 seconds. Then reconnect everything and boot PC up. Well, I followed their direction and still it didn't clear BIOS password.

HP Recommended

Pressing the yellow clear CMOS button does not clear the BIOS P/W.

Did you not read the reply I posted above for how to clear the P/W?

That is the only way you can do it.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.