Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had my hard drive replaced on my HP laptop, and it came with a Usb (32gb) to boot (Windows 10, 64bit).  I have already used it twice, once with the replacement hard drive, and second with a ssd I ended up buying instead. My question is if I can reuse this USB to boots windows 10 on my new desktop computer (which is not HP), rather than buying a new copy of windows 10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The W10 HP installation flash drive will only work for the PC you bought it for.

If your other PC came with W10, you can always clean install W10 for free at any time by using the media creation tool at the link below.

The utility will allow you to make a bootable W10 installation flash drive.  You will need a 4 GB flash drive for that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The software will work with the W10 product key in your notebook's BIOS and will automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then after W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your specific model's support page.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The W10 HP installation flash drive will only work for the PC you bought it for.

If your other PC came with W10, you can always clean install W10 for free at any time by using the media creation tool at the link below.

The utility will allow you to make a bootable W10 installation flash drive.  You will need a 4 GB flash drive for that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The software will work with the W10 product key in your notebook's BIOS and will automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then after W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your specific model's support page.

HP Recommended

> ... can I reuse this USB to boots windows 10 on my new desktop computer (which is not HP) ?

Why would you want to attempt that?

Your new non-HP computer either comes with media to reinstall Windows 10, or it comes with a pre-installed program to create your own "System Recovery Set" of media that is customized for your new computer.

I see your point for creating a "System Recovery Set", to be prepared for a future problem with your new non-HP computer. But, do you have another reason for "reuse" ?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the responses. Just to clarify, this USB was not made by me. It was brought by the HP technician when I replaced my hard drive. I am building a desktop PC with individual pieces, so I would be required to buy windows 10 again. If it only works for this computer, then you have answered my question. Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.