Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I consistently run into a problem when I leave my desktop on for a while: when I return, the screen is off, but the computer isn't in sleep mode (judging from the symbol on the tower). My backlit keyboard turns on when I type on it, but nothing comes to the screen. I don't think it's a monitor issue, because when I restart the computer via the power button, the monitor displays normally.

Here are my specs:

• Hard Drive: Crucial MX300 275GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT275MX300SSD1
  • Video Card: Intel HD Graphics
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
  • RAM: 16 GB DDR3
  • BIOS Version: j01 v02.06

Here are some things I've tried:

• Ran a diagnostic test on my hard drive. No problems there.
  • Applying all updates from Windows Update
  • Applying all updates from HP Support Assistant
  • Resetting the Windows power settings; turning off hibernate mode; turning off suspend/sleep

Here are some things I'll try next:

• Update the BIOS firmware to v2.28. Apparently any versions later than that cause problems for this PC when used with Windows 10
  • Pray for some useful answers on this sub 🙂

Any suggestions for how to start trouble-shooting? Has anyone bumped into this issue before?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@zbs

You may have already done this, but you did not specifically mention it ...

When in Power Settings --> Additional Power Settings, check Choose when to turn off the display and confirm it says Never for both entries.

IF that is already the case, did you also confirm, by selecting Choose what the power buttons wil do, that Fast Startup is unchecked?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.