Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion Elite HPE-532s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello support, i wanted to disable secure boot for my desktop.
i have a pavilion Elite HPE-532s Bios 7.15 i followed the step in many posts but i don't have it under "Security" ?
i'm on window 10 64bit UEFI mode.
i wanted to disable it because i have a new graphic card GTX 960 and it stuck on the HP logo at  the boot all the time when i use the new card.!!

I tried to disable the security slot but whatever i do that i get black screen for both my old and new card so i have to reset the bios settings.
Help me please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the additional information.

Here is my diagnoses/opinion:

I don't think you are going to be able to get the GTX 960 to work with that system. :Crying:

Why it won't work in UEFI/GPT:

It won't work in UEFI because [I suspect] the GTX 960 is a UEFI only card and you need to disable secure boot in order for it to work. Your BIOS is only "UEFI compatible" originally intended for Windows 7 [which does not support secure boot]. If you cannot disable secure boot you cannot use that card.

Why it won't work in Legacy/MBR:

It won't work in Legacy because it is a UEFI only card.

My suggestion:

Revert back to Legacy/MBR and use a graphics card that has a Dual BIOS/Hybrid BIOS or one that specifically supports Legacy BIOS as shown in one of my previous posts.

Some other things to consider:

Does you PSU have enough wattage for this card? I think it requires a minimum 400W PSU.

Did you connect the auxillary power connector?

Did you tried disabling "Intergrated Graphics" in BIOS [if applicable]

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Secure boot is not the problem. Secure boot will protect you against root kits. Take a look at my post here about a GTX-950 and I have a HP Envy 750-124

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Cannot-get-into-Normal-Bios-on-the-750-124-Env...

If you need pictures let me know but what I done is go into Bios and set my Nvidia as primary then disabled the Integrated video. Tell it to save then shutdown. swap cable back and start it up

HP Recommended

I can make my old Nvidia as primary because I can access the bios with it but when I put the new card, I can't pass the Hp logo screen even if I hit Esc really fast I get another screen but get stuck on it and some minutes later some sounds and then nothing.

you have a new bios update 2016 mine is from 2013 and is the last.

HP Recommended

I suspect you are not seeing a Secure Boot option because you are not using UEFI.

You can confirm UEFI or Legacy by running this command in the windows desktop search bar: msinfo32

Under 'System Summary' you will see "BIOS Mode"

If it says Legacy then it's likely that your new graphics card only supports UEFI and you will need to get one that is compatible with a Legacy BIOS.

Capture.JPG

There are Hybrid graphics cards and others that have a physical UEFI/Legacy switch which are compatible with both.

Here's an example at this link: MSI Hybrid Graphics Cards

Here is an example of a SapphireTech graphics card that is compatible with both UEFI and Legacy BIOS.

Capture.JPG

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
       If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

it was legacy then I checked on the bios to boot with UEFI so I needed to change windows boot from legacy to UEFI and succeded then I disabled legacy from bios and left only UEFI boot but still nothing!!

what else can I do?

HP Recommended

Please do one more thing for me. Sorry, I still question wether you have a UEFI system. Are you able to use your mouse pointer while in BIOS/UEFI? Or are you navigating BIOS with your keyboard?

Does  msinfo32  still show Legacy?

Please check how your hard drives are partitioned.

Right click the start menu and choose 'Disk Management'.

If your boot drive is partitioned MBR then it is a Legacy system not UEFI.

UEFI uses GPT [GUID] partitions.

Capture.JPG

Also curious, exactly what brand/model GTX 960 are you using? MSI, Sapphire, EVGA, etc. 

HP Recommended

It was showing Legacy in msinfo32  but I convert it  from mbr to GPT with some command lines now it shows Uefi in msinfo32  and everything is OK but whatever I put the new card it doesn't work stuck in the hp boot.
I use the keyboard in Bios. no mouse.

IPISB-CH PC Desktop BIOS Update

7.15 Rev. A 3.1 MB May 25, 2013

can some option disappear in the bios if I update windows ? I had win7 and now I have win10.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the additional information.

Here is my diagnoses/opinion:

I don't think you are going to be able to get the GTX 960 to work with that system. :Crying:

Why it won't work in UEFI/GPT:

It won't work in UEFI because [I suspect] the GTX 960 is a UEFI only card and you need to disable secure boot in order for it to work. Your BIOS is only "UEFI compatible" originally intended for Windows 7 [which does not support secure boot]. If you cannot disable secure boot you cannot use that card.

Why it won't work in Legacy/MBR:

It won't work in Legacy because it is a UEFI only card.

My suggestion:

Revert back to Legacy/MBR and use a graphics card that has a Dual BIOS/Hybrid BIOS or one that specifically supports Legacy BIOS as shown in one of my previous posts.

Some other things to consider:

Does you PSU have enough wattage for this card? I think it requires a minimum 400W PSU.

Did you connect the auxillary power connector?

Did you tried disabling "Intergrated Graphics" in BIOS [if applicable]

HP Recommended
I was thinking the same.
I have a 460w PSU.
I already ordred a new motherboard. Thank you for your help.
HP Recommended

Mine doesn't show anything i even checked the system information i went into bios settings i can't find secure boot configuration  at all help me my gpu is nvidia quadro k600 and it supports legacy 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.