Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop  stolen,My question is, if the person who stole it, tries to hook it up, can it be traced?  i have the box with serial #.  Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Not unless you installed some kind of tracking software. Presumably there is a password which the thief will not be able to bypass and boot into Windows so most thieves will try to wipe it and put a new copy of Windows on which will get rid of any "Find My PC" function of Windows and will make it impossible to trace unless you installed a tracking app which works independent of Windows like Lo-Jack. Your box should have the Mac address of the network cards which will stay the same even if a new OS is installed and a really sophisticated tracker can find it by Mac address but that is beyond ordinary end user capabilities. 

HP Recommended

Ok sir i do understan what you said 

But now i don't need the laptop anymore i just want to Stop the machine because im living in KSA 

And the machine was issued on my resident ID if the thief did any criminal activite with my Laptop then the KSA Gov absolutely will put ME! in the Jail im  really worried about it that's why I want to Block the machine i mean my Stolen Laptop!  .... I have already contacted my nearest HP Head Office which locketed in Riyadh city on this topic but unfortunetily they're all Saudi citizen and im none! that's why they didn't give me good respons to resolve my problem ...now im requesting you please help me to get rid from this tantion and let me know the way that how can I request to Block my Stolen Laptop using serial# or any other way .

Awaiting your Valueable Reply....Ali 

HP Recommended

We cannot help. 

HP Recommended

this is unfair HP should  must have some way's to stop or block the machien which is manufatured by HP  if there haven't any way then ...it mean HP just making fool to every single  HP users by saying that we keep you secure we care about your privaceies. bla bla bla ..what if the thief recover my all personal data and start miss using with that...? why we are paying high amount to buy Not book just because people thing if we buy a expensive device then HP will give us good response on any kind of  trouble but we all acutally innocent ....anyway thanks for replying. but please Note this my request to you HP plz dont say those words which you can't fufill .....

HP Recommended

I don't know what you have on that laptop and I can tell you are very concerned; we all now know what the Kingdon does to people it does not like but nobody ever told you that HP could somehow reach out and incapacitate your laptop remotely so you are grasping at straws. Sorry. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.