Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp touchsmart 520 pc
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My computer is stuck on the loading screen stating ‘press ESC key for the startup menu’ and won’t go past it. Problem is, my keyboard is wireless and doesn’t kick in until the login screen. I have tried plugging in another keyboard but still nothing happens. Any ideas? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Katm88 

Ordinarily, that message stays on screen for a few seconds, after which the screen clears and the HP logo appears, and after that, your Windows login screen.

If the message never disappears, that implies that the hard drive has died, as the PC is then unable to read the boot loader files off the drive to proceed further.

But with only a wireless keyboard, it looks like you are stuck.

My suggestion is that you go out and buy a wired USB keyboard. Inland makes models that can be had for $10 USD or cheaper.

Plug that into your PC, press the Esc key on the keyboard and when the HP Startup Menu appears, select the option to run diagnostics -- and see what it reports.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have tried plugging in a keyboard to see if I can get past the screen. However the power doesn’t even come on with the keyboard when I’m on this screen. Not sure how to get around it. 

HP Recommended

@Katm88 

You said the screen is displaying the "pres Esc ..." message, so clearly, the PC is powering up, otherwise, the screen would be completely dark.

But then you say, it is not powering on.

I'm confused ...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

that is happening with me

if I add usb keyboard but no connection 

I don't know how logout this screen or how go to bios to select startup with usb flash or cd windows 

pc still stuck with hp logo screen 

HP Recommended

hi 

I have same problem 

if you disolved

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.