Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

The CMOS battery voltage is 3.23. And yes, Big_Dave, the battery was installed correctly.

My experience with testing these flat lithium batteries is similar to what mdklassen describes. Even when the device they are powering stops functioning due to lack of power it's not uncommon for a volt meter to still show 3+ volts. However, testing the amperage draw will show varying results depending on the draw of the device being powered.

Still yet, to satisfy your questions I tested the battery and even tried a new battery but the results are the same as described and pictured in my original post.

But it seems to me that we are moving away from the root of the issue here. Battery or no battery the BIOS screens should still appear when called. Granted, if non-default settings are required to locate the boot device a dead or missing CMOS battery would explain why the system would not boot the OS. But this system isn't even getting that far. 

Any thoughts on what is preventing the BIOS from displaying the Startup Menu, Boot Menu or Setup screens when the label in the lower right corner of the display indicates that the system acknowledges that screen has been requested?

Any ideas on why the BIOS will not flash using the "Win+B" recovery method with a USB flash drive?

HP Recommended

> Pressing the "ESC" key reveals the Power On Self Test (POST) results including the current BIOS version.

> It now shows the new BIOS version as being installed but the system will not boot.

> Pressing escape, F9, or F10 to get into any of the boot or BIOS menus also does not work.

Wrong key!   From page 23 of: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04329428#

8 Using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics is a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) that allows you to run diagnostic tests to determine whether the computer hardware is functioning properly.

The tool runs outside the operating system so that it can isolate hardware failures from issues that are caused by the operating system or other software components.

To start HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI:

1. Turn on or restart the computer, quickly press esc, and then press f2.

The BIOS searches three places for the diagnostic tools, in the following order:

a. Connected USB drive

NOTE: To download the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) tool to a USB drive, see

Downloading HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) to a USB device on page 23.

b. Hard drive

c. BIOS

2. When the diagnostic tool opens, use the keyboard arrow keys to select the type of diagnostic test you want to run, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

HP Recommended

I actually have the same problem as _netbits. The BIOS is stuck and it not really possible to reach the UEFI or recovery disk or 3-in-1 HP repair tool or any other flash drive or recovery option. The message in the lower-right corner is different depending on what F-key I press (F9 - boot menu, F2 - diagnostics etc), but I don't see any option to select or otherwise get to it. So it just remains as in _netbits post above.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen:

I'm not sure how the documentation you referenced led you to believe that the symptoms described and pictured are the result of pressing the wrong key. I wish it were just that simple. However, as previously discussed, by pressing one of the action keys at power on I am getting some response acknowledging that the key was pressed. However, the BIOS stops short of providing the complete interface to interact with the system at the BIOS level.

--------------------------------

I recently had access to the same model HP computer as the one that is not working. They were purchased at the same time. However, the BIOS is still at the original version on the working system. Here are some images of what should be displayed when pressing the ESC, F9 and F10 keys.

ESCESCF9F9F10F10

When compared with the original images from the computer with the updated BIOS it's evident that the BIOS is failing to completely load the user interface when pressing an action key at power on.

So at this point the system with the updated BIOS is still unusable.

Any ideas on how to reflash the BIOS or interact with this system in any way?

HP Recommended

For anyone who may find this thread in the future I wanted to let you know how this issue ended for me.

After trying everything I could think of and every related solution I could find from extensive searching on the internet the BIOS would not budge. I was able to find a new motherboard for this computer and after replacing the motherboard the system is now working.

HP Recommended

Yes, mine ended more or less the same. I took the computer to the service and they've reflashed the BIOS externally.

HP Recommended

FYI- this was proably due to a BIOS update that breaks or removes the ability to use SSD drives completly 

I reinstalled the OEM 2TB slow is you know what drive on my HP 510-p024 to at least be able to use this machine while we wait for a BIOS update to allow use of SSD drives again. Still no news from HP. My ticket with HP got closed out without a resolution. three weeks now for me. proably a lot longer for others. no new BIOS posted, can't downgrade the exsisting BIOS either. I am SOL, but at least I am not alone. Hoping for a class action lawsuit now.

HP Recommended

That might well be the case. I expected though a well-behaved BIOS to at least notify "boot device not found" or something like this.  I think that the BIOS flashed at the service was the latest one (August 2017), and it does work with my original 1 TB hybrid.

HP Recommended

I agree. The BIOS should have at least do something, or give a response.

In all cases however, the machine completely freezes and does not complete a POST with any SSD conncted.

HP Recommended

Here is the Official response from HP.

I did want to let you know at this point HP inc is not required to fix or resolve this issue caused by our BIOS update. Because of the Third Party SSD Harddrive our bios updates may not be compatible with other companies hardware. This complaint was elevated to our internal Technicians and determined because of the 3rd party hardware we could not resolve this issue from a technical stand point. If you have any concerns in this matter feel free to give me a call and we can discuss this further.

Bottom line, anyone who installed an SSD is screwed. case closed. HP does not care and does not want you as a customer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.