Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-bj000 Notebook PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The system fails to boot and appears to be stuck while "attempting repairs" message is displayed. All HP suggestions/directions re recovery, BIOS reset, et, to no avail. System test (long) says all is ok. SYSTEM (E) Passed.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi

A Boot failure suggests a failing Hard Disk or a lost/corrupted boot area.

Either way, I suggest you backup your Data, Create an OS Recovery Media and do a Full Diagnostic Test.

If you have done the above, then consider an F11 Factory Fresh install or a Windows Repair Disk utilising the Microsoft Creator Tool from here...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

You can boot to the recovery media that you should have created by this time to access Windows system restore.

As an alternative, you can access system restore with a USB bootable Windows 10 installer to accomplish the same thing.

I had the same experience on this desktop, last week. It was caused by a Windows update that failed to install properly. 

Be very specific in listing each suggestion you have tried.

A blanket statement like you made would lead one to believe your OS is not fixable. 

I do not give up that easily.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Sadly no recovery media was created. Even more sadly the system restore started off at a good gallop but then terminated citing a missing directory file or some such. The hp site we are directed to to download a new bios says that it does not exist for the stated opsys, version and hardware combination. Shades of Joseph Heller.
HP Recommended

@Spotkeeper wrote:
Sadly no recovery media was created. Even more sadly the system restore started off at a good gallop but then terminated citing a missing directory file or some such. The hp site we are directed to to download a new bios says that it does not exist for the stated opsys, version and hardware combination. Shades of Joseph Heller.

There are usually more than a single restore point. Use an earlier one.

You still have not identified your notebook completely.

If you press the power button and immediately start tapping the ESc key, you can invoke the startup menu.

In the startup menu, you can press the F1 key to see a screen that will provide you with the product number of your notebook.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Afaik there was only one restore point. Laptop id follows:
Notebook Model: HP Pavilion 15bNotebook PC
Product Number: L2W56EA#SBU
Serial Number: [edit]

HP Recommended

OK

You have a HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p246sa (ENERGY STAR), and either W8.x or W10 I assume.

So maybe try an F11?

OR

Make a repair media.

OR

Buy one from HP?

A little more info and interaction is what is required.

HP Recommended
Thanks so much for your patience. We are doing an f11. User data is bsckef up (thankfully i hsd s 32gb stick to hand). Thr little darling is now engaged in a systems recovery back to factory settings. We shall keep you posted.
HP Recommended

Prego.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.