HansO
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Stuck trying to boot

HP Recommended
Linux

Hello, I have an EliteDesk desktop and I have been trying to boot up into a new OS, but whenever I try it gives me this screen and it get stuck there:7DA5F312-C5E0-4276-9B32-A30E1C687154.jpeg

I have successfully booted from CD in the past, but never from a USB. I have tried resetting the BIOS settings (which never seems to do anything) and then turning off Secure Boot and on Legacy Boot, but it still won’t work. I am pretty sure the systems I have tried to boot are compatible. Any help will be appreciated as I am new to anything outside of Mac.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,961 42,200 4,644 12,411
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @HansO,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

It always helps when you identify an HP PC with its complete product name or product number.  Providing a generic name, like "EliteDesk desktop" is not so helpful because we have to guess the specific hardware configuration. Help us to help you by providing the complete product name/number. We can get the configuration form the product name or complete product name.

What exactly do you mean by "trying to boot up into a new OS"?

If you mean an OS, such as Linux or Windows to Go on USB, please enlighten me. Kindly explain exactly what you are attempting to do. 

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
HansO
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Product Number is K9L85US#ABA.

I am trying to install Kail Linux on my computer. Usually when you boot into a new system you press F9 and then you select the device you want to boot into or simply press delete/backspace to start the boot process.

Here is the way I do it:

20AA2E8A-2DCA-4A83-9833-9A3CBACD861D.jpegOn this screen you press F9 to get the boot menu. On the boot menu I select the USB drive I what to boot the new Operating System from. Whe n I press this it should boot right into the new OS, but instead I have been getting this:

96DAC8C7-CD1A-4970-B213-DA5F1FD48F26.jpegI am sure the USB drive is set up properly as I followed all the instructions here.

@erico

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have installed 2017 Kali Linux in one of my laptops that has an MBR volume SSD.

I used Rufus  after having much trouble with of the Win32 imaging utility. It was frustrating!

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
HansO
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have Ubuntu on my computer at the moment and I used the dd command in terminal to copy the image file to my USB drive.

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I suggest that you try another method.

Rufus alternatives for Linux

https://alternativeto.net/software/rufus/?platform=linux

You can also find information on how others have solved the very same issue at the Ubuntu community.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation