Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Linux

Hello, I have an EliteDesk desktop and I have been trying to boot up into a new OS, but whenever I try it gives me this screen and it get stuck there:7DA5F312-C5E0-4276-9B32-A30E1C687154.jpeg

I have successfully booted from CD in the past, but never from a USB. I have tried resetting the BIOS settings (which never seems to do anything) and then turning off Secure Boot and on Legacy Boot, but it still won’t work. I am pretty sure the systems I have tried to boot are compatible. Any help will be appreciated as I am new to anything outside of Mac.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I suggest that you try another method.

Rufus alternatives for Linux

https://alternativeto.net/software/rufus/?platform=linux

You can also find information on how others have solved the very same issue at the Ubuntu community.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @HansO,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

It always helps when you identify an HP PC with its complete product name or product number.  Providing a generic name, like "EliteDesk desktop" is not so helpful because we have to guess the specific hardware configuration. Help us to help you by providing the complete product name/number. We can get the configuration form the product name or complete product name.

What exactly do you mean by "trying to boot up into a new OS"?

If you mean an OS, such as Linux or Windows to Go on USB, please enlighten me. Kindly explain exactly what you are attempting to do. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The Product Number is K9L85US#ABA.

I am trying to install Kail Linux on my computer. Usually when you boot into a new system you press F9 and then you select the device you want to boot into or simply press delete/backspace to start the boot process.

Here is the way I do it:

20AA2E8A-2DCA-4A83-9833-9A3CBACD861D.jpegOn this screen you press F9 to get the boot menu. On the boot menu I select the USB drive I what to boot the new Operating System from. Whe n I press this it should boot right into the new OS, but instead I have been getting this:

96DAC8C7-CD1A-4970-B213-DA5F1FD48F26.jpegI am sure the USB drive is set up properly as I followed all the instructions here.

@erico

HP Recommended

I have installed 2017 Kali Linux in one of my laptops that has an MBR volume SSD.

I used Rufus  after having much trouble with of the Win32 imaging utility. It was frustrating!

HP Recommended

I have Ubuntu on my computer at the moment and I used the dd command in terminal to copy the image file to my USB drive.

HP Recommended

I suggest that you try another method.

Rufus alternatives for Linux

https://alternativeto.net/software/rufus/?platform=linux

You can also find information on how others have solved the very same issue at the Ubuntu community.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.