Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 570-p000 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello -

My computer recently shut down while booting up and indicated it was a thermal error.  When I looked at the system event log I saw this:

thermal event.PNG

I am hoping to find out if this is a know issue and if there is a fix to try before I take it some place to get it fixed.

Thanks!

Here is some general info on my system:

Eleanors HP system specs including BIOS version.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

With the PC disconnected from household power:

Open the access panel. Take a close look at the motherboard and processor fan to see if there is a buildup of dust impeding the airflow. 

Use a can of PC compressed air to clean the motherboard and fans. 

Service procedures.

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=13823514&MEID=977E1CC9-308F-4BA7-ACB6-124710A90CC6

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello Erico -

Thank you for your post.  Great video site!  

I should have mentioned that the computer is brand new.  It was purchased in November 2017.  I will definitely take a look and see if there is dust build up, but it seems unlikely.   Are there other physical things inside the computer I should be looking for?  I have read about thermal paste needing to burn off.  Is that a possibility?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

The chances of the thermal interface material being an issue are quite slim. 

Depending on where one lives, a cleaning should be done once or more per year.

I live in a farming community. With so much dust in the air at a couple of times during the year, I really have no other choice but to clean or pay the price.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

>  With the PC disconnected from household power, open the access panel.

Take a pencil, and touch the fan-blades of the fan on top of the processor.

The fan-blades should rotate, quite freely.

If not, the fan has seized, and will not spin at all.

Reconnect the AC power, and keep your hands away from the "guts" of the computer.

While watching the fan on top of the processor, turn the computer on.

The fan should immediately start to spin, at a very-high speed, possibly with a noisy "roar", and then slow down and quiet down.  Does it spin?  Did it spin "fast" then "slow" ?

With your hand on the outside of the case, feel for exhaust air coming out of the back of the power-supply (near to where the power-cord is connected).  If no air-flow, the fan inside the power-supply has failed.

About 10 seconds after the "power-on", hold-down the on/off button until the computer turns off.

> critical thermal event

Something (CPU, motherboard) has overheated, possibly because that fan above the processor has failed, or possibly because the power-supply's fan has failed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.