Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Recline 27-k200 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When computer is turned on, it starts with the hp logo and says “preparing automatic repair”and then goes to “diagnosing your pc”. Next it goes to a automatic repair screen which gives me the options to restart or advanced options. When I go to adavanced options, none of the troubleshoot choices seem to work.  I am at a loss. I ran the various test choices and everything passes.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

This is happening because Windows cannot start/boot .It may be caused due to simple Windows hung, hardware problem (e.g. your HDD) or it may be caused by faulty Windows Update, some other faulty update/driver, corrupted bootloader / Boot Configuration Data in Windows etc....

Did you perform some change to the PC before the issue started - like software installation/update, Windows update ?

1. Perform some basic hardware checks to rule out hardware problem

- Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)

- Power the computer back on.

As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

- Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXUp43ahHA

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD (hard disk drive) and RAM check (memory check).

Let me know the test results. If the tests pass without issues, continue. If not, please, let me know

2. Repeat steps 1-2 above but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545#AbT5

>> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Provide your feedback/reply.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

This is happening because Windows cannot start/boot .It may be caused due to simple Windows hung, hardware problem (e.g. your HDD) or it may be caused by faulty Windows Update, some other faulty update/driver, corrupted bootloader / Boot Configuration Data in Windows etc....

Did you perform some change to the PC before the issue started - like software installation/update, Windows update ?

1. Perform some basic hardware checks to rule out hardware problem

- Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)

- Power the computer back on.

As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

- Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXUp43ahHA

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD (hard disk drive) and RAM check (memory check).

Let me know the test results. If the tests pass without issues, continue. If not, please, let me know

2. Repeat steps 1-2 above but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545#AbT5

>> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Provide your feedback/reply.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
It worked as advertised. Now just a little work to reload my software. Would like to know what caused the issue so I don't mistakenly do it again.
HP Recommended

What do I do when my recovery partition is gone?

HP Recommended

I had the same issue, tried to fresh load the machine and couldn't boot from USB or Flash.
Problem I had was I couldn't load the BIOS cause I couldn't get back into windows.

So I created the USB Bios disk (that had multiple errors on 3 different machines)

In my win7 machine it had an instant error.

On a fresh loaded win7 machine it would look like it finished but would lock up and I had to CNTL+ALT+DEL

On a win10 machine it would start the process look like it finished and then the window would just close never saying Completed.

I was finally able to flash the bios by holding Windows Key+B and holding power on for 3 secs.

I continued to hold WinKey+B for maybe 8-10sec and the thing saw the flash drive, updated and worked!
I had a hard time finding how to flash the bios when I couldn't do it through the bios or windows.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.