Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had a hp z400 with w3520 processor. I wanted to upgrade my processor so I bought w3680 and it's working fine but takes 5 to 7 minutes to turn system display on ( showing hp logo and bios options). I tried putting back my old processor and it's turning on display in 3 to 4 seconds. My bios is latest 3.61. what could be the problem.

System specs 

W3680

Hp z400 

2tb HDD

512 gb SSD

512 gb HDD

AMD RX 570 4GB

16 RAM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My problem is fixed now I downloaded a old bios 3.19 from a website link give below .

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/Legacy-HP-Bios-Information

I flashed my old bios through USB.

It corrupted my bios . Then I downloaded latest bios from hp website and flashed bios through USB . 

Now my system starts in 2 to 3 seconds.

BTW thanks 

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try resetting CMOS.

Regards

HP Recommended

I reinstalled bios and tried resetting cmos. Nothing happened 

HP Recommended

Hi Yasin3321,

My bad!

Should have checked your Workstation specs.

Figured you had done this.

Processor support per HP is:

• Intel Xeon W3503, 2.40 GHz, 4 MB cache, 1066 memory, 4.8GT/s QPI, Dual-Core
  • Intel Xeon W3505, 2.53 GHz, 4 MB cache, 1066 memory, 4.8GT/s QPI, Dual-Core
  • Intel Xeon W3520, 2.66 GHz, 8 MB cache, 1066 memory, 4.8GT/s QPI, Quad-Core, HT, Turbo
  • Intel Xeon W3540, 2.93 GHz, 8 MB cache, 1066 memory, 4.8GT/s QPI, Quad-Core, HT, Turbo
  • Intel Xeon W3570, 3.20 GHz, 8 MB cache, 1333 memory, 6.4GT/s, Quad-Core, HT, Turbo

You can confirm at this (Link). HP is not officially supporting a W3680 on this motherboard.

No BIOS update for this. HP does not support Windows 10 on your product.

Sorry.

Regards

HP Recommended
  • https://kelsusit.com/content/specs/hp-z400-workstation.pdf
  • I have seen it and it does support this processor.
  • I think their new bios is having trouble with this processor so they updated their web page because a week back I saw it on the same web page it was listed there w3690.
  • And I have taken this processor from my near market and It was running on a hp z400 the only difference was i had bios 3.61 and his computer had 3.20
  • Same year both were manufactured. I know if anyhow I can downgrade my bios it will work normally.
  • If there is way to downgrade bios please let me know.
  • Thanks for ur help . 
  • U can download the hp z400 manual from the link given above.
HP Recommended

https://kelsusit.com/content/specs/hp-z400-workstation.pdf

( link)

Hp sells it's z400 with w3680 and w 3690.

I have taken this processor from a working hp z400. He bought that from hp.

The problem is that he still has default bios 3.20 which came with system accidentally I updated my bios to 3.61. it's the problem of bios. Is there any way to downgrade my bios to default 3.20. our systems are manufactured in same year. But I bought it for a bit low price so I had 4 core processor and he had 6 core processor. 

Hp updated their web link because I do remember 6 core processors were listed their. Before their bios update. 

Please let me know if there is any way I can flash default bios 3.20 . 

I can guarantee it that my problem is gonna be fixed.

Thanks , regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Sorry, I can't find BIOS version 3.20 using any HP supported operating system.

Have you talked to HP Support about this problem?

Regards

HP Recommended

My problem is fixed now I downloaded a old bios 3.19 from a website link give below .

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/Legacy-HP-Bios-Information

I flashed my old bios through USB.

It corrupted my bios . Then I downloaded latest bios from hp website and flashed bios through USB . 

Now my system starts in 2 to 3 seconds.

BTW thanks 

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Sounds good. You fixed the problem.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.