Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Touchsmart 610

Will not start, when power button pressed the fan spins for a second then nothing. I have replaced motherboard and checked power supply and tried different universal power supply. Drive reads fine hooked up externally. Any idea what to check now? Thanks Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just in case some comes across this thread, while I was waiting for cpu to come in. I just started unplugging items one at a time and hit start button. Tried hard drive, dvd, tv tuner, Wi-Fi and then rear i/o board. Bam starts up, plug I/o back in no start. I/o board on the way....

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Did you move the processor from the "old" motherboard to the "new" motherboard, or did you switch processors.

Does the new motherboard require a 2-by-2 power-lead to be connected to the motherboard, near to the processor?

Does the RAM test "good" in some other computer?

HP Recommended

I used same cpu, it has 3 sticks of ram and I tried each seperatly. It doing the exact thing the other mother board was. Thanks Michael

HP Recommended

Hmm.

Same processor, and same symptoms, with either motherboard, and with either power-supply.

HP Recommended

So which cpu is better i5 3.2 dual core or i7 2.9 quad core. 

HP Recommended

@Hornnumb21 wrote:

So which cpu is better i5 3.2 dual core or i7 2.9 quad core. 

A few programs are "single-threaded" -- they would use 100% of the speed of one processor, except that Windows spreads that 100% out over all the available processors.  Windows Update is such a program. Programs that edit audio streams or video-streams usually are single-threaded.

But, going from 2.9 to 3.2 is only 10% faster.

If you have a dual-monitor system, streaming video on one screen, and you are using Excel on the other screen, and Windows is running a virus-scan in the background, then having a quad-core is better, to handle those 3 simultaneous tasks.

HP Recommended

Just in case some comes across this thread, while I was waiting for cpu to come in. I just started unplugging items one at a time and hit start button. Tried hard drive, dvd, tv tuner, Wi-Fi and then rear i/o board. Bam starts up, plug I/o back in no start. I/o board on the way....

HP Recommended

Yeah I have a 610-1050f and it has gotten stuff in the side USB ports before and refused to come on.. as well as abruptly shut off.. sometimes if I tiredly tried to plug in a lightning cable or micro USB (but backwards) the little connectors coming in contact with the side USB ports will shut the machine down (albeit scary, it has always turned right back on). SSD upgrade is a must, 16gb RAM isn't necessary, more like 8 or 10 really is all I have seen used on mine with 16gb installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.